Using a kit can plus liquid malt extract = extra water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just following a recommended recipe

Coopers Sparkling Ale, 300G dex. 500 G LDM, 1.1 Litre Light Coopers Malt Extract, kit yeast.

I was thinking because of the extra malt extract liquid, it is essentially two cans, should I add more water? ie make it 26 L? Or could I?

I have had a look at the wort - I think it seems a bit "thicker" than normal... It has only been in day, sure it wont hurt to add a few litres.

I don't want to stuff it up and have not done a two can yet, so not sure of the quantities... Although some of their recipes using a can of

liquid malt are even 21 lt.. (why do some vary between 21l and 23l?) I would have thought you could add at least a litre more of water for the extra volume.

Thanks
Rusty

I'd leave it alone personally, you'll only dilute the flavour and it won't end up as intended. The varying volumes are done because it affects the flavour strength. Some of them are better with less volume to concentrate the flavours more. That recipe sounds like the one that approximates the commercial Sparkling Ale, in which case it does not need more water. It should come out around 5.8% ABV.

Do it as is. The extra can is essentially part of the kilo segment of kit and kilo.
Dilute next time if you think it's too much.

1.1-1.2 kg of malt extract is roughly equal to 1kg of white sugar

The reason is that not all the da sugaz in malt are fermentable like they are in white sugar

This is why all malt beers never finish below 1005 ( without using enzymes )

Thanks - I have sampled the wort, beautiful, cannot wait for this one :), will let you know... cheers

Latest posts

Back