Quantcast

Whats a good extract kit to use a Philly sour yeast with

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

MHB

Reaction score
Thanks, I think its fair to say everything eats glucose.
Just that some Lactobacillus are very strange, I know more than few thrive in milk.
Was just a bit of an anomaly, making a sour and adding Lactose, at three or four times the price, well if the bug is going to eat it no point and sweetening a sour - hum.
Maybe if its making Ethanol and Lacto at the same time its a weird type of yeast, God knows there are probably billions of them out there that need exploring. Have to do a bit more digging.
Mark

Edit - just had a quick look it is Lachancea, a saccharomyces so its a yeast. Interesting times.
I'm not inclined to make sour beers, even avoid drinking them in the brewery, one of those couple of times a year type of things.
M

Last edited:

GrumpyPaul

Staff member
Moderating
Reaction score
I've only used the Philly Sour once so far and will use it again (don't mind an occasional sour). For me its great because I'm basically a lazy brewer - and relatively impatient. So pitch it and away you go on your way to a sour.

I've done a couple of kettle sours - and although not super difficult, its another step in the process. Most folks with an electric heated system could set the wort to maintain a nice souring temp of 40c. But after the ingrained habits we have as brewers of keeping everything nice and clean, sterile - getting wort into a cube hot enough to sterilise it - the idea of leaving a kettle full of wort sitting in the brew shed for a few days at 40c is a bit worrying.

Philly Sour takes that worry and effort away. I recently described it to a mate as a great little gateway yeast into the world of sours.

Latest posts