Whats a good extract kit to use a Philly sour yeast with

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I think its fair to say everything eats glucose.
Just that some Lactobacillus are very strange, I know more than few thrive in milk.
Was just a bit of an anomaly, making a sour and adding Lactose, at three or four times the price, well if the bug is going to eat it no point and sweetening a sour - hum.
Maybe if its making Ethanol and Lacto at the same time its a weird type of yeast, God knows there are probably billions of them out there that need exploring. Have to do a bit more digging.
Mark

Edit - just had a quick look it is Lachancea, a saccharomyces so its a yeast. Interesting times.
I'm not inclined to make sour beers, even avoid drinking them in the brewery, one of those couple of times a year type of things.
M

Last edited:
I've only used the Philly Sour once so far and will use it again (don't mind an occasional sour). For me its great because I'm basically a lazy brewer - and relatively impatient. So pitch it and away you go on your way to a sour.

I've done a couple of kettle sours - and although not super difficult, its another step in the process. Most folks with an electric heated system could set the wort to maintain a nice souring temp of 40c. But after the ingrained habits we have as brewers of keeping everything nice and clean, sterile - getting wort into a cube hot enough to sterilise it - the idea of leaving a kettle full of wort sitting in the brew shed for a few days at 40c is a bit worrying.

Philly Sour takes that worry and effort away. I recently described it to a mate as a great little gateway yeast into the world of sours.

Back