Using A Kettle Element....covering Wires Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adryargument said:
If your actually that serious about electrical safety.
Are your stirplates certified?
Are your brewery fridge controllers certified?
Are your PID Herms controllers certified?
Nothing in my brewery that I've wired myself is certified, but I sure as hell made sure they were safe.

And I've lived in a few houses and the only one that's had an RCD is the one I'm in now, after I had it installed.

I really don't see the point in trying to prove whether exposed live wires are safe or not. I reckon Darwin proved that years ago.

adryargument said:
I think everyone is a bit too worked up on standards and electrical safety.

Remember that you actually need a path to earth through yourself to be properly fried.
Um google images electrical burns... Not nice... Thats why people get a "bit worked up" Some of these people pictured may have even survived.

Camo6 said:
But you're right. Electrical safety and standards are overrated. :blink: :p
Camo6 said:
Nothing in my brewery that I've wired myself is certified, but I sure as hell made sure they were safe.
So standards are overrated yet you are not following them? Camo i think your a great brewer and i believe i have purchased a few hop plants off you in the past. But it doesnt change the fact that we live in a society where intelligence gives way to stupid rules. This happens in all departments.

The OP is boiling water with exposed wires. Surely this is dangerous, but is he doing it in a 3 vessel environment where splash water is likely? Probably not. He is most likely doing it in a controlled environment where death is just as likely as catching HIV from your microwave.

For everyone to abuse him and expect the worst, its a bit hard in my opinion when everyone here does more retarded stuff.

Bridges said:
Um google images electrical burns... Not nice... Thats why people get a "bit worked up" Some of these people pictured may have even survived.
Again, if i google passive smoking lung cancer do i not go outside for fear of death? grow up.

Camo6 said:
I really don't see the point in trying to prove whether exposed live wires are safe or not. I reckon Darwin proved that years ago.
And will prove again.. Then people on this forum will simple say " his last post was xx/xx/14"

I hope he is ok.

Ooooohhhh beer.

adryargument said:
Camo i think your a great brewer and i believe i have purchased a few hop plants off you in the past.
Haha. You haven't tasted my beer! You might have me confused with another Camo I suspect. Won't stop me adding this quote to my sig though!

More than likely the bloke with the exposed wiring is fine and has yet to be fried but my point is that for the sake of a little extra work and minimal cost you can safeguard against unnecessary dangers. Especially in a pastime where a fair chunk of it is drinking alcohol.

I've never been in a serious motor accident and have never had to depend on a seatbelt to save my life, but that doesn't mean I don't wear one.

Now, let's get back to talking shit about beer.

adryargument said:
Whats more dangerous?
#1 Having exposed wires and a brewer who is concious about them brewing carefully?
#2 Having sealed wires with an idiot splashing water everywhere believing that their box is watertight?
It's like saying why have a pool fence if you have an adult that is conscious of safety and can swim? It doesn't work and that's why that have laws for pool fences and laws for electrical work, because people unknowingly and unwilling come into harms way by someone cowboy hot shot saving 20 mins and $15. Accidents happen and even the most experienced brewers have boil overs and accidentally splash water, etc. It is bloody stupid...

So much faith in the mystical powers of an RCD or a chassis earth. So much facepalm.

RCDs are great, they'll protect you from one the more common shocks - touching active and earth (including an earthed chassis, kitchen sink or the actual dirt). RCD detects more current in the active wire than in the neutral and trips. Won't protect you at all if you're touching active and neutral though, the earth never comes into the equation.

Old mate with his death bucket is probably still kicking. But I'm a big fan of camo's seat belt analogy.

LethalCorpse said:
So much faith in the mystical powers of an RCD or a chassis earth. So much facepalm.

RCDs are great, they'll protect you from one the more common shocks - touching active and earth (including an earthed chassis, kitchen sink or the actual dirt). RCD detects more current in the active wire than in the neutral and trips. Won't protect you at all if you're touching active and neutral though, the earth never comes into the equation.

Old mate with his death bucket is probably still kicking. But I'm a big fan of camo's seat belt analogy.
Usually the idea is that the earth connection shields the A and N connections so that there is no way to be in contact with them without the RCD tripping. In the bucket o death case the element has a metal surround that is earthed if wired correctly. I would never use one though because it's risky in my eyes since the next level of protection (the pot) is not earthed.

The RCD is very important but as you indicate doesn't protect you if you can access both A and N with your bare skin, thus exposed wires are a no no in all circumstances.

My setup using off cuts from the ends of silicone tubes.
Stole the idea from the home brewing forum .com, how to remove the element from a tesco electric kettle. image.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back