Using A Hot Water System As A Hot Liquor Tank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougjuan

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just putting together my AG system and was considering using a hotwater system I have laying around as the HLT. I haven't seen any systems using one and have heard that potentially the water may not be so good due to the cathode-anode reaction of the anode rods in tank which produce hydrogen ion and hydrogen sulfide gas. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this?

Doug.

You could always remove the anode, me I would look at one with a ceramic or plastic inner.

I don't have a HLT. I just use my 50L pot as HLT and kettle. To speed up the process of heating the water I always fill the pot from the hot water tap, which comes straight from an electric hot water system. So I guess you could say I use a hot water system as a HLT. I haven't had any problems with hydrogen ion and hydrogen sulfide gas. If you're worried about such things you could just use the element in another vessel, but the thermostat would be a little tricky to use safely on anything else.

I don't have a HLT. I just use my 50L pot as HLT and kettle. To speed up the process of heating the water I always fill the pot from the hot water tap, which comes straight from an electric hot water system. So I guess you could say I use a hot water system as a HLT. I haven't had any problems with hydrogen ion and hydrogen sulfide gas. If you're worried about such things you could just use the element in another vessel, but the thermostat would be a little tricky to use safely on anything else.

I go even closer than that Rob2. I fill my HLT direct from the outlet valve on the gas hot water system. Comes out at 72 C or thereabouts so I can sometimes even sparge with water I have straight from the HWS. I just place a 1m length of silicon hose on the end of the copper outlet valve ppe and away I go. I started doing this when I realised that the hot water was dropping at least 10 C between the HWS and the tap closest to the HWS (2 metres or so away)

It is recomended that you dont drink the water from a storage type hot water system.

Instant hot water systems are fine for consuption.

The main problem is that they have a sacrificial anode made up primarilly of magnesium or aluminium, with some levels of zinc and tin depending on the water where you live.

Along with these metals floating around in soloution there is also levels of iron/oxide from the steel tank slowly corroding.

If you were to draw massive amounts of water throgh the system you might a decent level of water quality, but short of that its just a big tea pot brewing away.

I personally dont drink water any more just beer. :D

It is recomended that you dont drink the water from a storage type hot water system.

Instant hot water systems are fine for consuption.

The main problem is that they have a sacrificial anode made up primarilly of magnesium or aluminium, with some levels of zinc and tin depending on the water where you live.

Along with these metals floating around in soloution there is also levels of iron/oxide from the steel tank slowly corroding.

If you were to draw massive amounts of water throgh the system you might a decent level of water quality, but short of that its just a big tea pot brewing away.

I personally dont drink water any more just beer. :D

Welcome Kenny the plumber. Where were you when the other thread was going on?

Thanks for all your comments. I figured that for the most part people would fill there HLT's from the hotwater tap anyway. I think I'll go ahead with it, the advantages been I have the tank and don't have to find a HLT and I don't need to pump the hot water to the mash tun as it will use mains preasure. I intend to put a temperature controlled mixer in so I can dial in the strike temp of the water for the mash and then the sparge water temp automatically. Anyway this will be version one of the Binford 5400 super brewer, after 18 months of feathering the nest collecting parts I can't wait any longer (so close). Must have beer on tap by xmas. Need it. Hmmmmmmmmm

I would have thought some minerals from the hot water system would be good for the yeasties ... ??
Instant gas HLT - go for it :) Mr Crozdog has posted on this subject before - thus search ....

i am a plumber, and all bullshit aside, if the annodes were ment to kill you, they would have already. best thing is to do a taste test. if the hot tap tastes different to the cold tap then yea, u should use cold, just like water from pilzen uses 'pure' water. any ale i wouldnt worry. up to you.

if you think that your body is a temple then maybe you shouldnt brew beer, and drink it.

Lobo

I have no problems at all with using "pre-heated" water from my hot water service. quite apart from the fact that is only 12 months old it supplies hot water to a household of three women and a ******, guaranteeing a pretty fast flow through though the water that supplies it is about as exciting as kevin Rudd. Sacraficial or not I figure my hot water service's anode is pretty virginal and even if it were to have to work the Zn or Mg or whatever would do my beer more good than harm if I indeed chose to brew. Maybe it is the visions of frogs and custom orbs that keep me sane.

K

I have no problems at all with using "pre-heated" water from my hot water service. quite apart from the fact that is only 12 months old it supplies hot water to a household of three women and a ******, guaranteeing a pretty fast flow through though the water that supplies it is about as exciting as kevin Rudd. Sacraficial or not I figure my hot water service's anode is pretty virginal and even if it were to have to work the Zn or Mg or whatever would do my beer more good than harm if I indeed chose to brew. Maybe it is the visions of frogs and custom orbs that keep me sane.

K

...? What's the brew this month Kurtz? Sounds potent!!!

bump...

so whats the consensus these days? anyone use a HWS for a HLT?

theres a fully serviced rheem mains pressure hot water service (8 years old) i can grab for <$100 from my neighbour...

should i grab it? im starting to do large batch's now.

I've always used all my water from the HWS & very happy with the results, personally & in competition :icon_cheers:

cheers Ross

cheers ross apprciate the reply.

now to get a quote on how many clams to hook one up to the brewing area.

anyone else use one?

Yes,
We used the Commercial Instant Rinnai Hot Water for production of EzyBrew Fresh Wort Kits. Not sure if i would go with the tank hot water system as i know the one at home started to drop bits of crap and rust when i would run a bath for the kids!
We filter the water prior to heating and then controlled by digital controler into mash.

When speaking to the Rinnai guy a while back he mentioned that many micro brewers were moving to this method and that they were planning on producing a monster commercial size at some point.

Cheers
HBW

As an aside,

if you were to use a HWS to get you at least close to your strike/sparge water temp would you still be able to use a water filter on the outlet of the system assuming that the filter housing could handle the heat ?

Basically how well would carbon filters work if the water going into them is hot ?

gary

Latest posts

Back