US home brewer trying to make Australian beer for an Aussie friend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Brewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm fromOmaha, Nebraska in the US. One of my friends is from Australia. I wanted to make him an ale that would remind him of back home. I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with a good Aussie recipe?

Hi there,
Rather than go down the typical aussie lager route I would recommend using the Dr Smurto Golden Ale recipe that you will find in the recipe database. This will give you a beer that is similar to James Squire Golden Ale (now called 'The Chancer'). In reality, it will be more than a match to the James Squire recipe of today.

Beers,

Goldstar

Is your friend a lover of various beers or does s/he just like pale lager types?

There is a recipe for coopers somewhere which is uniquely Australian as well as a couple for Stone and wood knockoff. Besides that, there are a couple of Aussie lager recipes. What brewing method are you using? Grain, extract, etc?

I would brew him a Mountain Goat Hightail Ale - the flagship from the largest of our craft breweries and not boring or horrible.

Very simple recipe to actually reproduce too!

88% Pale Malt
11% Crystal - people do a light/med/dark split here but I personally use 6% Caramunich II and 5% Crystal Med
1% Carafa II - substitute w/Chocolate if you must

60min Pride of Ringwood (45min no chill)
30min Cascade (15min no chill)
10min Cascade (0 min/hop stand no chill)

To 30 IBU's

Dry Hop up to 1g/L Cascade

Absolute RIPPER!

Yes he likes most types of beer. I don't have the ability to lager anything so, I was hoping for a ale of some sort if possible. I make pretty much everything from all grain to extract so, I am open to either one.

^^ the recipe above is an ale - just US05 or your preference of clean ale yeast.

I think I will make both what you and gold star suggested just to give him options.

Smurto's Golden is a brilliant beer, most popular homebrew recipe in the world for a reason!

Make them both!

I'd be going with the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale.

The following makes a great drop:

Ingredients
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract
45g Galaxy
US05 Yeast

Hop Schedule

10g Galaxy @ 20mins
15g Galaxy @ 10mins
20g Galaxy @ 0mins

Predicted

OG 1046
FG 1012
IBU 20.8
EBC 5.0

I usually make it to 20L.
You don't have to use Coopers LME, any good LME would be fine.
I'll leave the imperial conversions up to you!

Thanks gents for all the great info. I now have several great options to choose from. I just hope I can find the coopers yeast here in the states.

If you can find bottled coopers over there, you can reculture but there is a whitelabs strain that is same/similar.

WLP009 I believe.

Probably the first thing to ask is what has your Aussie friend drunk back here in Aus that he liked, rather than people jumping all over and suggesting things that he may never have had here!

If he loved xxxx Gold, well......um........

manticle said:
If you can find bottled coopers over there, you can reculture but there is a whitelabs strain that is same/similar.

WLP009 I believe.
009 is seasonal - I think it might be done for this year but some shops could still be carrying it. I did a lot of reading when I used it and it was suggested that 16 was the sweet spot for that quintessential Peary coopers taste - push it into the 20s at your bananatic peril.

My resultant Aussie ale had almost no fruity ester. It was still a fine beer, but if you do go with a coopers strain (WL or from bottle) I'd recommend 18 or 19.

+1 for WLP009.
I have a very lightly hopped Pale, used the Coopers Pale grain bill and it is lovely. Great yeast.

fraser_john said:
Probably the first thing to ask is what has your Aussie friend drunk back here in Aus that he liked, rather than people jumping all over and suggesting things that he may never have had here!

If he loved xxxx Gold, well......um........
Agreed but I did ask that in my first post.

It's a nice idea, but why? As a surprising few have asked, is there a specific Aussie beer they like? If there isn't then why not an APA, AIPA etc with Australian hops? I may suffer the consequences, but IMO, Australian craft beer hasn't yet come of age and although S&W Pacific Ale is touted as a new Aussie style, to me it's just a watered down APA and not a good thing. Except for Coopers, everything else mainstream seems to be a 'me too' interpretation of a US style

Mad Brewer said:
Hi everyone,
I'm fromOmaha, Nebraska in the US. One of my friends is from Australia. I wanted to make him an ale that would remind him of back home. I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with a good Aussie recipe?
Welcome from Texas!

Latest posts

Back