Urgent Help Regarding Yeast!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilinggilroy

Reaction score
Knocked out a batch of hard lemonade yesterday afternoon, and pitched a Red Star Premier Cuvee (5gm) sachet straight into the wort, also added some yeast nutrient. Am now wandering, if I should have re-hydrated the yeast before I pitched it, as nothing seems to be happening. Wanted to use a wine yeast to be able to ferment at low temperature (16-18 degrees) and to end up with a dry finish, dont like drinking anything too sweet. Have I stuffed up completely? Do I just wait and see what happens? Do I add more yeast and if so which sort and how? Have some Red Star Montrachet (5gm) sachet in fridge and some S-04, any use? Dont have too much time as I dont want to lose the ingredients if I can help it. HELP!!!

You may have drastically under pitched your yeast - I'd have gone at least 2 packs, maybe more if you're pushing the alcohol above 7 or 8%.

Be patient and it should kick off, but you'll likely have a fairly long lag time. Would suggest pitching more yeast if you can.

Cheers

Have I stuffed up completely? Do I just wait and see what happens?

You got it right in one. Just wait and see. Sometimes in can take a few days for anything to happen. Just keep the lid on and relax. Go have a few home brews and all will be right. :)

Have I stuffed up completely? Do I just wait and see what happens?
If you provide the OG and batch size it might help determine if you've pitched and adequate amount of yeast, which may have contributed to the slow start.
The fact that you did not rehydrate it will have minimal impact, some people like to rehydrate their yeast others suggest it is not needed, either method can produce adequate results.
My preference is to rehydrate but that does not mean it will not work without it.

For the moment I'd suggest you just leave it be, keep it sanitary and watch it for a few days, if after that time there is no activity or change in gravity, you may need to pitch another yeast.

Not rehydrating can cut the yeasts viability in half, which probably isn't a problem with a 11.5g sachet in a normal sized batch of beer, but it might be with a 5g sachet in a hard lemonade.

"If you provide the OG and batch size it might help determine if you've pitched and adequate amount of yeast, which may have contributed to the slow start." Wolfy

Batch size 23litre

O.G was1056 @ 19deg.C

I also found this info on a data sheet, on the net, this morning for the Red Star yeast I used.

DOSAGE

20 to 30 g/hl (Average: 2.2 lbs. per 1,000 gal.)

FERMENTATIVE PROPERTIES

The fastest, cleanest and most neutral fermenter in our product range. Able to ferment within a wide

temperature range: 7C - 35C (45F - 95F)

Yeast with a high tolerance to ethanol (till 18% vol.) and free sulphur dioxides. Ferments to dryness.

I under pitched the other week, took 4 days before anything happened, and started really slow, but turned out great in the end.

These lemonades are weird, though.
You want super clean yeast with no yeasty flavours or aromas.
They lack the nutrients that malt has over sugar.
I would recommend pitching more yeast, and perhaps some yeast nutrient.

Back