Upside-down Cooper's Stubbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't roll any Coopers anymore (when serving myself), however when serving customers I ask. If they have no idea what I'm talking about and I don't have time to explain, I make an appearance-based judgement call whether to roll it or not; bogans get the yeast, more refined or interstate/international visitors get it decanted into a glass.

Does the term Bogan inclde us in the NT?

I don't own a Commodore/Falcon/Camira, or flanelette, I don't like XXX or XXXX for that matter.

Any or all of these following traits puts you in the bogan class:

-Wife-beater
-Flannelette
-Stubbies
-Purposely badly-kept facial hair
-Odd odour
-Thongs in a restaurant
-"How ya farkn goin boss?" or similar.

-Wife-beater
-Flannelette
-Stubbies
-Odd odour
-Thongs in a restaurant

Joooisus!!! :ph34r:
:D

-Wife-beater
-Flannelette
-Stubbies
-Odd odour
-Thongs in a restaurant

-Old style mullet
-Footy shorts
-black beanie
-And these days any Holden or Ford Merch related to V8 supercars
-Triple m/Nova Sticker.

I don't roll any Coopers anymore (when serving myself), however when serving customers I ask. If they have no idea what I'm talking about and I don't have time to explain, I make an appearance-based judgement call whether to roll it or not; bogans get the yeast, more refined or interstate/international visitors get it decanted into a glass.

that explains it! must stop wearing thongs and shave mullet, thanks adam! :D

-Old style mullet
-Footy shorts
-black beanie
-And these days any Holden or Ford Merch related to V8 supercars
-Triple m/Nova Sticker.

-jim beam/jack daniels/bundy rum stickers as well.

I notice that Melbourne has only recently been rolling Coopers and then only in the trendy bars and restaurants where Coopers has become "trendy".

:D
ATOMT

Dont know what bars / clubs you frequent but good melb pubs and clubs always roll my coopers. Also depends on the staff i find wether they are experinced bar staff or just starting out. I dont roll or tip my own coopers unless its a Coopers Vintage.

:) TripleM rocks Elizabeth sticker

When i drink stubbies of CPA, the yeast gets mixed up. No dramas here.

I had a barman roll a LCPA before he poured it. I whinged and asked for one without the sediment. He obliged me another, but couldn't understand the drama. Apparently it was normal practice to do this to a pale ale. I disagreed.

He then started going on about CPA and rolling etc. Turned out this guy actually believed that CPA was the very 'first' and 'original' pale ale and any other beer titled 'pale ale', i.e. LCPA, was an attempted copy of CPA and should therefore also be rolled.

I then tried to educate the poor man, but he refused to accept the truth. 'Pale Ale' was definately a South Australian invention, not something that had been around for hundreds of years.

Marketing ploy aside, I think that mixing in the dregs is generally the result of bar staff who don't know the difference between beer and orange juice, and assume that if something has separated then it needs to be mixed back in again.

I don't care what the bogans used to do 'traditionally', any brewer knows that you drink the beer and leave the sediment behind. If I wanted to drink that crap I'd bottle my slurry.

i think Coopers are pushing it so people get used to some crud in their beer. so it makes their beers obviously different.
i don't mind the taste of Coopers yeast. s'posed to keep the hangover at bay as well.

Michael Jackson mentions on his BeerHunter site that the 'loyalists' don't mix the yeast in with the beer. It's certainly a trendy thing and even in my 30 years, bars have been handling it differently.

I'm with Batz and Wortgames, I leave that crud in the bottom of my fermenter when I brew, why would I mix it up in my beer when I drink?

Tipping a Coopers gives them a good niche market. It does not automatically taste bad having the yeast in suspension, I've seen far more variation based on age/condition than on presence of yeast. As yeasts go it is a good one for being back in suspension.

I'm with Batz and Wortgames, I leave that crud in the bottom of my fermenter when I brew, why would I mix it up in my beer when I drink?

I am really not against mixing the yeast,I drink Coopers Pale from the stubbie.
I just believe the rolling or inverting the bottle in bars is a big load of crock,but hell if the yuppies all like it why not. :p

Batz

I sort of have a foot in both camps... I wont roll a coopers sparklng, but I give it a little bit of a gentle swirl. That gets the really dusty fine yeast up into suspension, and helps give it the nice yeasty bready flavours, but leaves stuck to the bottom the more chunky and horrible bits.

A nice fresh bottle, its almost all dusty and nice, older ones have more chunks. But then again, on some days I pour it bright because thats what I feel like. No need to be stuck in a rut.

To my tastebuds coopers Pale is quite bland and boring if allowed to settle and pour clear,quite thin as well.
A little of the sediment adds a depth that is missing.
It's one of tose beers that I prefer to neck from the stubbie ,yobbo style.
Sparkling however is better clear

Nice to see so many varied responses. Proves that us beer drinkers are just as fussy, if not more so, than the wine drinkers..... :D

I tend to tip my coopers for a good 30 secs. It doesnt pour clear from the keg! Altho the last few pints can be a tad chewy and murkier than the torrens.

If you are drinking straight from the bottle then it will be mixed in to some degree.

Would be interesting to see how Glenn or Tim drink theirs.......

I've seen Glenn defend the tip & roll, but they're probably sick of it and drink Moet instead.

Would be interesting to see how Glenn or Tim drink theirs.......

Glenn is just a marketing man so who cares how he drinks it but I did ask someone who has drinks with Tim on a regular basis what he does and he's a tipper/roller apparantly.

Someone mentioned with some bottles the yeast has clumped together in those cases a bit of solids it quite horrid, reminds me of a beer I drank from another home brewer and ended up with cockroach legs in my mouth. <_<

When the yeast is still all dusty and floating around on the bottom ussually just opening and releasing the pressure is enough and the yeast shoots right up into suspension wether you wanted it to or not.

I'am one of those that just drink the stuff out of the bottle, don't tip, roll or bless it first.

Boozed, broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Latest posts

Back