Upgrading Birko Urn Element?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pommiebloke

Reaction score
I managed to score a mint 5L Birko Urn off eBay for just $20. Would like to use it as a HERMS pot but it is only 1500W which might not be enough for good ramp times.

I wonder how easy it might be to replace the (exposed) element for a larger one, maybe 2400W or even more (I can get my sparky mate to put in a 15A circuit for beer).

Anyone have any experience or tips for doing this?

Not actually answering your question but I would have thought 1500w be ample for only 5L???

I think the HERMS will be 5L, but it will be the heat exchanger on a larger system. Although if it's just a single batch system 1500w would do the job. Just not as fast as 2400w. Compared to my 3V that's still more watts per liter than I'm running.

Even if the 2400w element fits, just ensure the rest of the wiring/switches in the urn are up to spec.

I'm pretty sure the yanks use lower wattage elements due to their power supply, but I'm probably incorrect.

What would be your typical mash size?

Thanks for the replies.

I do double batches so according to BeerSmith that's usually around 27 litres of liquor in the mash.

I'm conscious of the ramp times because I'm planning on using a Gryphon coil and controller and another brewer on here with that system in the 5L Birko complained of slow ramp times. (1 degree per 2.5-3 minutes).

The Gryphon coil is designed for 2400W in 2L, so 1500W in 5L might be pushing it.

According to QldKev's calculator it would take 1500W about 20 minutes to raise the temperature by 15 degrees (1.33 minutes per degree). Not sure if the HERMS responds exactly like that due to lag and recirculation.

I suppose I could always add an over the side element for a total of 3700W. If it IS possible to replace the element with a larger one (which is my preference) I'll get my sparky mate to check it over of course.

So the question really is does anyone know if it's possible to replace the element with a larger one and if so, is there anything to watch out for?

you should be able to as long as your sparky mate says the rest of the wiring in the urn can handle the extra wattadge

Back