Upgrade to Larger Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would strongly recommend kegs with A-Slider system rather than Sankey for any small brewer. Reason being all sorts of crud (have seen dead cockroaches) accumulate in wells, with an A-slider you can easily wipe the top off before you fit the coupler.
Were I sending beer out to trade where I wouldn't have personal control of every keg it would be an absolute must. The idea of a bug or a lump of snott ending up in a customers glass, getting photographed and shared with everyone they ever met is the sort of thing you can have nightmares about.

Maybe not so bad at home where you are in control but its a safer choice for lots of reasons.
Another advantage is that A-Sliders are easy to modify so you can remove the spear for cleaning, keg filling, adding priming… Just an all-round better system for mine.
Mark

I've used both A-type and D-type 50L kegs; definitely prefer the A-type for the reasons listed above. I've also rebuilt both types of coupler and spear, and they were much the same in terms of ease (once I worked out how :confused:).

I honestly can't think of a single advantage for the D-type, except coupler size (D-type is slightly smaller than A-type) if that's going to be an issue for some reason :cheers:.

Back