Ungassed Keg And S-04 Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flano

Reaction score
Couple of very simple questions for anyone else I'd imagine.

I have a keg filled and cleared the headspace ...it has been in a fridge for a few days .
No real rush to drink it as I still have a couple of others on the go.

Do I need to gas it up or should it be fine for another week or so?

Also, am doing an ale that came with Fermentis safale S-04 yeast...I've never used it before .
Should I have the heat pad on this one?....the light blue packet.

cheers
norks.

as long as youve filed the headspace with c02 it will be fine to leave it ungassed

with the s04 it really depends on what your ambient temp is, you dont really want it to go over 20, 22 at a max or it might start throwing funky flavours like banana(unless thats what your after) i believe most try to keep ales at around 16-18

1) Beer will be fine as long as you purged the head space

2) s04 is an English ale strain, depends on which beer you are brewing? around 17-18 deg will keep it relatively clean but a few extra deg could add some desirable esters if that's what you are after

Cheers ,

I have it ( FWK of Australian Pale Ale) itting on 18 dgrs.
The instructions are a bit confusing...they all seem to say bewteen 15 and 25 dgrs no matter what yeast it is.

Just for future reference, once you have ourged the head space you don't even have to refridgerate your keg. I usually have 2 in the fridge and 2 at room temp, as they will mature as will a bottle out of the fridge, but obviously won't carbonate as they are not primed.

Cheers ,

I have it ( FWK of Australian Pale Ale) itting on 18 dgrs.
The instructions are a bit confusing...they all seem to say bewteen 15 and 25 dgrs no matter what yeast it is.

Whilst they will ferment at these temps, the higher temps will most likely give you some of the additional flavours mentioned above. You would also prob be OK down at the lower temp but there is more risk of a stalled ferment and lower attenuation.

Back