Uncle Kev Is At It Again....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's my 2c, now that I've had some time to think about it.

The payments to various people has a certain merit to it. It encourages liquidity in the market, and that's the problem that's come out of the financial crisis- a lack of liquidity. However, it's not going to solve long term problems. Where this package hits the nail on the head is with its payment for insulation, building budgets for schools, and the like. That money will create jobs, and while I hate that prick Turnbull, his constant repeating of the word 'jobs' (maybe he can record it and just hit play to avoid straining his voice) rings quite true.

Ultimately the money could be spent on what Labor has been screaming about for the past 11 years- infrastructure. There are many projects that could be made- how about a national rail grid connecting all the major ports with all the major cities? Bottlenecks in freight have been a constant issue, so this should help with that. Expanding the ports? Difficult (since it's a state issue) but possible if done correctly (keep in mind these are both problems that Labor pointed out in 06/07). How about that broadband network that was promised? How about a government owned desalination plant? The possibilities are endless..

Yeah I agree, the broadband thing in particular. The 4.7 billion they've promised isn't enough. They need to just build the whole thing and then act as a wholesaler.

Certainly. Sincey they're spending $40bn at a time, they should have the cash to pay for the whole shebang.

But I'm sure they'll be all *wah wah government owning services isn't efficient, partnership with private industry is much better* <_<

Certainly. Sincey they're spending $40bn at a time, they should have the cash to pay for the whole shebang.

But I'm sure they'll be all *wah wah government owning services isn't efficient, partnership with private industry is much better* <_<

There's nothing efficient about Telstra that's for sure. Even if they don't like government monopolies, the solution is never a private monopoly!

never mind that when they give this contract to telstra or optus or whoever else, those guys are just going to outsource it to someone else to actually build anyway.

Yeah, I know.

But yeah, the next big spend (and it will happen!!) should go towards job creating infrastructure. It has benefits of

1- Job creation and the obvious benefits there
2- Increased capacity in the economy. The cause of the inflation problem of 05-07 was limited capacity in a growing economy.
3- They are things that we need but will NOT be built by private industry (in the US the railroads are overcrowded, but the companies won't expand rail capacity because demand > capacity = profit)

EDIT: Ooh, I'm listening to Question Time- Labor's trying to wedge the Coalition again, by pointing out that the Nationals are going to vote against more money for regional road upgrades...

in the US the railroads are overcrowded, but the companies won't expand rail capacity because demand > capacity = profit

Of course, private rail might be built if they didnt have to compete with massively subsidised road transport...

And with a few concessions to the minor parties, it's through, knew it would be all along....

Although only $900 now......Oh well, a reduced tax bonus is better than no tax bonus, and hopefully the agreement to fund cycleways will give me a clear run for work which won't involve dodging trucks.

Whaoooooooooooooooo! Could not of come on a better week.... :icon_cheers:

My wife's landed this morning....

I hijacked a bit and got my urn and ingredients for my first BIAB all sorted....

I have a feeling she will be claiming mine, I did take $550 of hers.......

My wife's landed this morning....

I hijacked a bit and got my urn and ingredients for my first BIAB all sorted....

I have a feeling she will be claiming mine, I did take $550 of hers.......

Most of mine will go on a credit card, but I will get another payment next month! Might buy my daughter that WII she keeps talking about.

More importantly when is your'e first BIAB???? and what you brewing?

Should be this Saturday if all goes to plan.....

As for what, I've never been one to "follow" someone else's recipe as such...

This is the current plan, unless I change my mind (VERY likely knowing me) in the next few days.

Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 27.06 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 17.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 67.42 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 22.47 %
0.30 kg Crystal Malt -Bairds (110.0 EBC) Grain 6.74 %
0.15 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 3.37 %
25.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.6 IBU
15.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
15.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 30.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (DCL Yeast #US-05) [Cultured]Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: !-BIAB Single Infusion, Medium body, No MO
Total Grain Weight: 4.45 kg
----------------------------
!-BIAB Single Infusion, Medium body, No MO
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Infusion Add 30.00 L of water at 69.6 C 67.0 C

I did an extract equivalent a while back and quite liked the result.

bring on the stimulus! i've already got the big telly so the world is my oyster :rolleyes:

bring on the stimulus! i've already got the big telly so the world is my oyster :rolleyes:

word kai. i forsee a brand spanking new decking being built with mine and the wifes so i can finally setup a proper brewing space and she gets that hammock space shes always been after. keep a chippie in the trade too.

anyone see those kevin37 TV's that Kogan released? 37" HD LCD for $900 with a free kevin07 tshirt. smart move kogan.

THAT is awesome.....

I almost want one, collectors edition.

I got a 32 inch lcd for $750 with built in hd tuner {NEC} a week before Xmas, the same tv is now close to $900.
Was going to leave it till after Xmas, thinking they`d be cheaper then!
Salesman was right, they weren`t.

stagga.

king size beds are awesome, hard going back to a queen now, like when you stay in a hotel

part airfare to germany time for a beer festival

Back