U Brew It Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
I was near the end of the boil of a pale ale and realised I was out of s-04 yeast and had to run down to the local u-brewit and got 10grams of their ale yeast, I am always hesitant to use their yeast as they store it in a small tupperware container in the fridge and I suspect that they only refill the container every few months.( I've been lead to believe that yeast should be used within 7 days after opening as fermentis instructions suggest).

Any way I normally aim for a FG between 1.010 and 1.015 as I like to have a more full bodied ale and this time with their yeast it has stopped at 1.020.
Is this going to be a little too full bodied or should I maybe even consider repitching with a safale us-05 as some should arrive in the mail in the next day or 2?

My last Pale Ale (was an Americanised slightly English style Pale Ale) finished at 1.022 (deliberately - I was trying to drop the abv%).

If you're worried about it being unbalanced hit it hard with some dry hopping (mine was in the keg). It'll really balance it out.

Otherwise, US-05 to finish it off is fine. Horses for courses really.

Goomba

My last Pale Ale (was an Americanised slightly English style Pale Ale) finished at 1.022 (deliberately - I was trying to drop the abv%).

If you're worried about it being unbalanced hit it hard with some dry hopping (mine was in the keg). It'll really balance it out.

Otherwise, US-05 to finish it off is fine. Horses for courses really.

Goomba

I think I will be right on the bitterness and hop levels due to it working out to be about 50 IBU (over boiled) and dry hopping with 20g Amarillo in the fermenter.
I will just have to see how it turns out I guess

U Brewit use Mauri 514 yeast. According to the specs ideal temp is 22 deg. If you were fermenting at 18 it may have been a little cool for it. Not saying it wouldn't work, just might not be finished doing its stuff yet.

I tried using this yeast the other week and when I set my fridge at 18 deg found it a bit sluggish, then after reading the specs upped it to 22.

Latest posts

Back