Two Stage Fermentation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on brewing a Bohemian Pilsner this weekend but I think I've got in over my head when it comes to the starter I'm going to need.

You made a statement!

Is it possible to start 10 liters in the fermenter with my one yeast pack, then once its up and running chuck the remaining 30 lt on top? Sort of like a 10lt starter.

You asked a question!

Some experienced brewers gave you their opinions.

Then you respond:

....I was hoping for some help when I posted not for someone to get on their soapbox and carry on like the style police.

Wonder why some of the old hands don't bother any more.

Screwy

To address the original question, yes you can definitely run a two-step fermentation in the manner you suggest. I'm not sure if 1 activator is enough for 10L of lager, but if you can adjust your step volumes up & down while keeping the wort clean then the world is your oyster.

To address the original question, yes you can definitely run a two-step fermentation in the manner you suggest. I'm not sure if 1 activator is enough for 10L of lager, but if you can adjust your step volumes up & down while keeping the wort clean then the world is your oyster.

According to Mr Malty, you would need 1.6 packs of Wyeast on 10ltrs Wort or 1 package with a Starter for 10ltrs of Wort... ;) Then for the rest of the 30ltrs, Mr Malty states you would need 5.66 ltrs of Starter which you then would have already.....

Give it a go if you want, its your brew mate....

:icon_cheers: CB

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion. If it is fermented at 12 deg with a lager yeast and comes down to around 1010 SG before some extended cold conditioning (read lagering) then that makes it a lager in my book. Maybe not a prise winning pilsener but I have made it clear that is not what I am after. As for rescueing it into an ale, you must think I'm a hillbilly.
I was hoping for some help when I posted not for someone to get on their soapbox and carry on like the style police.

You just told someone who has English as a second language and a wealth of knowledge and experience in brewing exactly the kind of beers you're trying to brew, that you're not interested in what he says.

He prefaced the whole lot by saying "my English is not so good".

No-one is trying to be the style police. Relax, listen to advice from people who brew this style of beer every second day (as Zwickel does) and if you don't agree or don't like what you read then do things differently. Your beer, your rules. You did ask for advice and someone who does know how to do it properly gave it to you. You can take it or leave it but no need to give him a hard time for trying.

You made a statement!

You asked a question!

Some experienced brewers gave you their opinions.

Then you respond:

Wonder why some of the old hands don't bother any more.

Screwy
Yes correct and I appreciate the feedback. I'm currently following the advise from Thirsty and I have thanked him for that. I have also had a lot of help from yourself screwy and I still follow that advise so thanks. Please don't stop giving advise. All zwikel has told me is no it will never be a true pilsener and its not possible, fine it only had to be said once. And yes I made a statement, it included the fact that I know this is not ideal. Just saying no is not helping me.

You just told someone who has English as a second language and a wealth of knowledge and experience in brewing exactly the kind of beers you're trying to brew, that you're not interested in what he says.
I told people I wanted to make a pils and that I know this is not the ideal way of going about it. So its not a true pils, the recipe I am using is a Boh Pils, what else should I have called it?......Beer?.....That wouldn't be very helpfull.

Zwikel, Sorry for being a turd it just got under my skin.

One things certain, I have no idea WTF I'm going to call this beer now Ale?...No!.....Lager?...No!!.....Pilsener....NNNOOO!!!!!

Beerbuoy

Beerbouy, all I wanted to say was, that under the circumstances you dont have enough yeast to pitch, hence you could not pitch cold, you have to keep the wort hot for a certain while, you didnt chill the wort and so on, better to give up the plan making a Pilsener or Lager, better to change the plan into making an Ale.

I thought it would be better making a passable Ale than a bad Pilsener.

Thats all.

:icon_cheers:

Zwickel - you do know he was going to no-chill though? I'm not sure if it's common practise in your neck of the woods but potentially it would give him as much time as he needed to build a proper starter and pitch at appropriate temp.

Yes correct and I appreciate the feedback. I'm currently following the advise from Thirsty and I have thanked him for that. I have also had a lot of help from yourself screwy and I still follow that advise so thanks. Please don't stop giving advise. All zwikel has told me is no it will never be a true pilsener and its not possible, fine it only had to be said once. And yes I made a statement, it included the fact that I know this is not ideal. Just saying no is not helping me.

I told people I wanted to make a pils and that I know this is not the ideal way of going about it. So its not a true pils, the recipe I am using is a Boh Pils, what else should I have called it?......Beer?.....That wouldn't be very helpfull.

I understand what you mean but I don't believe Zwickel was trying to be the BJCP police. He's German so lagers and pilseners have a cutltural relevance to him. Add to that the fact that he brews them constantly and you have a good source of information. You can make of that information what you will as it's your beer but it's still good to know.

Further to that there is a slight language barrier. Zwickel's English is great but it's not his first so he may not explain what he means as well as he likes in the first instance. I really don't believe he was trying to patronise you - just help with his experience and knowledge which as far as I understand is pretty good in this instance.

Best bet is to just make enough Starter from the 1 pack for 20ltrs and then salvage yeast from that batch and pitch onto the next batch..

I think CB is right, this is how i would go about it

split your wort into 2 20l batchs (as you no chill this is how you will have it anyway)
build your starter up and split it into 2 2l coke bottles so you effectively have 4L of starter.
Ferment 1 20l out, then repitch the 2nd 20l onto the cake

Paul

Beerbouy,
just pour your wort into a clean 40 gal drum and leave it in your backyard to ferment (with the lid off). you should notice some activity within the first 3-4 days as your brew is fermented by wild yeast strains. It wont win any awards, but it will ya pissed.
just my two cents :icon_cheers:

Back