Two Ring Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
hey guys,
The big green shed has reasonable cheap two ring burners for sale. But i am wondering, will it do? Is it too weak? I have 40L stock pots to boil.
thanks.

depends on how much time your got a 3 or 4 would be better

I had a 2 ring burner with a LP Regulator and it worked well for single batches, used to put my Keggle on a car rim that I had put vent holes in and sat the burner on the ground with the rim over the top.... ;) Boiled nicely....

Still have but use a Spiral Burner with Med/High Pressure Reg now.... :super:

:icon_cheers: CB

I had a 2 ring burner with a LP Regulator and it worked well for single batches, used to put my Keggle on a car rim that I had put vent holes in and sat the burner on the ground with the rim over the top.... ;) Boiled nicely....

Still have but use a Spiral Burner with Med/High Pressure Reg now.... :super:

how long do you guys reckon it would take to boil with one?

Not that long, I would start the burner after 1st runnings to get it started, and I brew in the Garage... ;)

haha when i saw this thread i instantly thaught of curries!

Anyway, i have a 3 ring burner that i use on a 40L stockpot in the poen air, it struggles on a barley windy day, you need to keep it will shielded. as for brewing inside with it.. i can turn off the middle ring and keep a decent rolling boil. I'd prefer to have the 3 ring burner over a 2 ringer.

i have a 2 ring you can have... just missing the regulator hose part.

i use it as a paper weight :)

have you got something you want to swap for it?

I use a 2 ring works great, sit the keggle on it so the ring of the keg sort of insulate the flames and i got 48lts today (in the shed) boiling in about 20 mins. I'll spend money on every other part of the brewery before i'll get another burner ..

If you set it up right, you can go wrong.

I manage to boil 27L on my kitchen 3 ring wok burner, so 2 ring should do it just slowly.

The green shed also had LP regs and hose for less than 1/2 price, along with what looked like a MP reg for $20. Not sure if all stores though.

I have just finished a testing a two ring burner with a normal BBQ regulator trying to boil about 35L. It took 2hr 20mins to come to a boil and then it couldn't keep it boiling unless the lid was on. It was well shields and had a great looking flame. It just couldn't cope. I'm going to need a medium pressure reg or a bigger burner. I'm not sure how others manage to boil well with a similar setup.

Good luck though and le us know what you decide to do.

Thanks for all your help guys. i got a little put off by davewaldo's post for how long it took him! as i am using 40L pots and not kegs as well. I bought a Mongolian burner today. I got talked into it. It all adds up to be quite expensive once you buy a pipe and a regulator. But i am thinking now, at least i can take it camping or something like that.

Purchasing a good burner may cost a little but is worth it in the end and you are really future proofing yourself. I went down the four ring burner path going for the larger size just in case and I am glad I did.

Enjoy the burner.

Cheers
Gavo.

Yeah l looked at a four ring burner and had the guy fire it up and thought what a lousy flame so l went down the mongolian burner path and haven't looked back.I have since turned one of my keggles into an electrified HLT which is a bit slow but l save on the 12lb gas bottle so l can get more boils out of it.

Brew Well
Mike (BB)

no way a 2 ring burner is going to handle a double AG batch IMO. if thats something your thinking of doing in the future spend the money on a decent burner.

of if your cash strapped go a 2ring, then upgrade when you can.

I use one of these

http://www.gasmate.co.nz/product_listing.p...2&pid=C80-2

Used to use a 3 ring burner but found it sooty in the middle and inefficient as the majority of the heat seemed to blow out the sides with a 40L pot - considering it used about 30MJ (0.8 kg/hr or so) i wasn't happy. Sold it and when i moved to Tassie i bought one like the link above from a camping shop, it was cheaper, uses only 0.5kg/hr and although rated at 22MJ, because the ring is smaller, it seems to work in exactly the same way. It might be a tad slower but i don't notice. It should be pretty similar to the Italian Spiral burners.

Only problem i have with it is that the gas is prone to blowback through the venturi vent, but it's ok, you just have to run it closed and move the vent away from you so if it happens you don't burn yourself (only flashes for 1/2 sec, doesn't hurt but enough to give you a fright) and then open up the vent. Looking at the design i don't see why you couldn't use an adjustable MP reg with it - of course at your own risk!

looking to get a 2 ring burner for free hopefully in the next few days.

Will this benefit from an adjustable low pressure reg or will the standard BBQ one be fine?

I am only doing extract and boiling 10L at this stage

Cheers

Robbo

looking to get a 2 ring burner for free hopefully in the next few days.

Will this benefit from an adjustable low pressure reg or will the standard BBQ one be fine?

I am only doing extract and boiling 10L at this stage

Cheers

Robbo

Standard BBQ will be fine.. ;)

I use one of these

http://www.gasmate.co.nz/product_listing.p...2&pid=C80-2

Used to use a 3 ring burner but found it sooty in the middle and inefficient as the majority of the heat seemed to blow out the sides with a 40L pot - considering it used about 30MJ (0.8 kg/hr or so) i wasn't happy. Sold it and when i moved to Tassie i bought one like the link above from a camping shop, it was cheaper, uses only 0.5kg/hr and although rated at 22MJ, because the ring is smaller, it seems to work in exactly the same way. It might be a tad slower but i don't notice. It should be pretty similar to the Italian Spiral burners.

Only problem i have with it is that the gas is prone to blowback through the venturi vent, but it's ok, you just have to run it closed and move the vent away from you so if it happens you don't burn yourself (only flashes for 1/2 sec, doesn't hurt but enough to give you a fright) and then open up the vent. Looking at the design i don't see why you couldn't use an adjustable MP reg with it - of course at your own risk!

that looks exactly like my italian spiral just without the stand. what did you pay for it out of intrest DJR?

that looks exactly like my italian spiral just without the stand. what did you pay for it out of intrest DJR?

Was about $45 from memory from a camping place in Hobart, the cheap one in between all the expensive ones. If a camping shop sells Gasmate stuff they should be able to either stock it or order it in.

The stand it comes with is OK but the spiral ones look a bit sturdier. It's just held on with bolts to the body, one day i will put some red loctite on the bolts but I check it every couple of batches with a decent size spanner and it doesn't move.

hey guys,
The big green shed has reasonable cheap two ring burners for sale. But i am wondering, will it do? Is it too weak? I have 40L stock pots to boil.
thanks.

How much are these?

A few mates from uni and myself are thinking of building a very basic AG set up to get brewing. As I can't bring my AG setup from home down here to SA we will prob head down the BIAB route or something else nice and simple.

Cheers, Pok

Latest posts

Back