turning xs farmed yeast into nutrient?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butisitart

Reaction score
hypothetically,
i've washed my yeast and got enough for my sample jars or vials.
so there's still some left over.

from there, i've read where you can throw old yeast into the boil @15mins or so and you get nutrients, but the posts i've read have all been talking about old dried yeast satchels.

i assume i could also do this with the definitely live yeast i've just dragged out of a batch as they would cook in the boil and voila.
any known problems against that??

Cloudiness? That's all I could think of in a negative way but it would all settle out anyway. I would assume. As for positive results I'm not sure if it adds any either.
I don't use nutrients for beer. Only for Cider. Oh, and the odd Barley Wine that is very high starting gravity etc. I just use the brewers grade stuff.
Its easy. As in measuring quantity. Yeats waste just means you have to take more notes on amounts and results. Its interesting,
carry on. :chug:

PS. I have wondered what to do with all that washed yeast that I carefully bottled. Its good for short shelf life really so I ended up with lots of bottled yeast that put under scrutiny with yeast calculators calculates at around 20% Viability. If its under 50% viability I consider it void!
Then what do you do with it? Other than chuck it on the compost pile.

Latest posts

Back