Turning a keg into a Mash tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantoffie

Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I scored a 50L keg from my work and want to turn it into a mash tun. Just one question, it is theoretically empty, but will there be any residual pressure left in the keg?

Is it safe to up and take the torch to?

Also, general tips and or tricks to making a mash tun out of a keg...

W

Drill a small hole in the top to let the pressure out, then into it with whatever you have. The thin cutting disks are prob best as they are quick and give a clean cut.

You will need some insulation like one of those thin camping mattresses.

False bottoms can be bought or made from a flat sheet of stainless with slots cut in. You can drill holes, but by the time you get to hole number 1029 and you realise your not even half way thru, you will wish you just cut slots. If you can score some perforated stainless sheet with 3mm holes then that is close to perfect.

You will need to be able to drill a 1/2" hole down the bottom for drainage.

And a lid.

Do an upside down one. Cut the bottom out for access and use a tri clover fitting on the top outlet to fit a drain. Use a false bottom bought from the shop if you won't be hacking away to make one.

Use a pair of pliers to push hard down on both sides of the black rubber seal that is in the middle of the fitting.
This will degas the keg. Oh and keep your head out of the way, it'll be a rush and some slops.

I got a towel and put it over the ball and then pushed down with a screw driver to degas.. YOU NEED THE TOWEL or else you might beer your roof..
then google "Sankey keg dip tube removal"

gava said:
I got a towel and put it over the ball and then pushed down with a screw driver to degas.. YOU NEED THE TOWEL or else you might beer your roof..
then google "Sankey keg dip tube removal"
Googling Sankey keg will get you a D type keg. What if his is A type or S type?

Pics of the keg at all mate?

Its a slide on style coupler. no pic atm but tomorrow I can take one.

Cantoffie said:
Its a slide on style coupler. no pic atm but tomorrow I can take one.
Pics..or even photographic attachments..we dont care...

Dunkelbrau said:
Googling Sankey keg will get you a D type keg. What if his is A type or S type?

Pics of the keg at all mate?
yes good point... I google that because thats what I had when I took mine apart.. but...everyone has the same as me right? :)

Someone PM'ed me about my mash-tun the other day and reminded me of this thread. i'd forgotten I'd posted it.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75035-evolution-of-a-mash-tun/

Bizier was right I ended up doing more but I went with a RIMS instead. Apologies for my short temper Bizier!

The manifold worked for many brews but one stuck sparge had me chasing stainless mesh to fashion into a falsie. In typical style I made some weird shit that no-one else has got.

I suggest an off the shelf false bottom. It's less painful and cheaper in the long run. Unless, like me, you enjoy learning by making mistakes. The insulation works well though. It's still the same although the RIMS makes it less important I guess.

Oh and regarding the depressurising…Yes the towel is a good idea. My first attempt saw me covered in stale VB. It was bloody stinky.

When degassing put the keg on its side the drip tube won't be in the slops not so messy

Back