Tubing For Hot Wort And Sparge Water Transfer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenjak

Reaction score
The topic says it all. Getting closer to AG and would like to know what sort of tubing for hot temps. I have a march pump and some 12mm PVC but will this become degraded by the hotter temps?

The topic says it all. Getting closer to AG and would like to know what sort of tubing for hot temps. I have a march pump and some 12mm PVC but will this become degraded by the hotter temps?
PVC will collapse under the heat. Have a look at silicon hose (search) or if you're thrifty, people seem to have success with wire-coiled PVC which as the name suggests, has coiled wire through it to stop it collapsing. Silicon hose is the way to go if you can afford it, IMHO.

I got my silicon hose from HERE. I know that you can get coiled PVC HERE. There are probably other places too.

Edit: Added sources.

The problem with PVC is that it bends really easily with heat and can cause issues with transferring liquids with kinks etc

Some other options are

Silicon hose is availabe at G&G, Mashmaster + Craftbrewer - the thick wall holds the tubes shape $15-18

BeerBelly has Helical Wire PVC which is a touch cheaper than silicon @ $11

Cheers

Edit: Beat me Quantum

Yep, silicon is the go. Not a great picture of the hose, but it is reinforced and I got it from Clark Rubber (no affiliation), but the sponsors also have some great stuff too. Cant recall what it cost me off hand, maybe $10/m?

(Mine has 'food grade heat resistant' printed on it also).

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...si&img=2963

Yep silicon is the go. Just did a wet run with my virgin AG set up. Works a treat IMO. $17.90 per meter at CB's. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I have future orders for G&G as well as Beerbelly. A simple matter of adding to my orders.

Prost!

BGL

Back