Trying to make the most out of my equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Okay so this will probably be a bit long but I'll try and explain my situation and what I'm after as well as my plans for the near future. I am now brewing full extract and am looking for ways to make decent ibu brews without using ludicrous amounts of hops for cost reasons. I currently have a 30L Fermenter and for boiling a 7L pot. Now with a 6L boil I'm not going to get good hop utilisation from what I can tell? I steep grains (typically 250-500g) is that enough to mess up hop utilisation or is it only an issue if I'm dissolving extract before boiling? Anyway my assumption is that any steep will cause me to need more hops than usual in a 6L boil. My next thing is that I am creating recipes and I'm loving the experimentation but don't have enough bottles to store heaps of batches so I was thinking of small batch brewing which would allow me to use my small pot and assuming less steeped grains I'd be able to use less hops for the same ibu? Also for small batches can I use just steeped grain and a bit of ldme and dex? Is that okay? My plan is to find a good vessel for a 6ishL batch and then when I want to do a large 23L batch just use a can of say coopers pale ale extract to get bitterness and then only make flavour and aroma hop additions, is this a good idea? My main concern is will it make good beer? And are there any 6-7L fermenting vessels with taps around?

Sorry there are so many questions but if I could list them:
1:will a bit of steeped grain lessen hop utilisation
2:can I just use steeped grain and ldme in small batches
3:is using a hopped lme for bittering and then other hops for flavour and aroma a good idea for saving on hops
4:where can I get a 7ish litre fermentation vessel preferably with a tap
5:sorry for all the questions

Hop utilisation decreases as gravity increases. Adjust your extract to make a wort that is about 1030-1040, add steeped grain liquor, boil and add hops. Add the remaining malt with about 10 minutes to go.
This will get you the best balance between hop utilisation and smooth bittering.

Steeped grain, ldme and hops will make beer. Boil resulting liquor from steeped grain.

Once you know the kinds of hops you will use often, you can buy larger amounts at much cheaper unit prices. Prebittered tin will mean less hops are required - takes you away from being full extract obviously.

You can buy 15L fermenters from places like grain and grape. This gives you a bit of headspace. I've seen 10L us style on amazon. Not sure of postage costs.

Thanks for this guys, in relation to gravity, if I was to steep say 300g in 6L does anyone know what my approx gravity would be assuming a 30min steep and if grain type is important crystal 60L. That's my main concern when it comes to large batch brewing. Sort of looking forward to doing a few small batches and having a few slabs of all different beer types to be honest.

You won't get a heap of gravity.
A spreadsheet should help work out exactly how much.

Latest posts

Back