Trying New Imported Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Well i was in the bottlo and i decided to get some imports to try.

I do this every now and then. I really like to get a grip on what the beer in trying to brew "should" taste like

Here is my sample list for today.

I have already tried the Schwelmer Pils and it was wonderfull. If i can develop a german pilsner like that i will be happy.

Im into the Erdinger oktoberfest now. Its nice too but i wouldnt buy it again.

There are two eucranian beers to try and the Weihenstephaner Dunkel which i have tried before and loved it so much i got it again and the bayrisch mild that im looking forward to trying.

Has anyone else got any coments on these beers.

I love talking about beer :)

cheers

oooooo its going to be a pleasant afternoon :)

Hi Tony

I've tried the Schwelmer Pils, Erdinger oktoberfest and the Weihenstephaner Dunkel.

Love the Schwelmer Pils - one of my fav Pils. try Veltins if you can get it.

Erdinger oktoberfest nice but not my style. Dunkel not my style either.

enjoy your afternoon

Jimmy

hi jimmy

I think Weihenstephaner have a couple of dunkels.

One has a less fancy label and is bottle conditioned and isnt as nice as this one. but wheaties arnt everyones cup of tea :)

the Schwelmer Pils is certanyy a nice beer.....

I just finished off the Obolon Premiun from the Obolon brewery in Kiev, Ukraine and it was a nice beer..... not up the the pils standard but drinkable. It was a bil less on everything, malt, hops, bitterness, flavoy but was great while i washed the car in the sun. Went down better than Aussie megaswill i have to say.

mmmmmmmm what next. God its only 3 in the afternoon.

Ahhh bugger it. The bayrisch mild is comming out :)

cheers

I was eagerly surprised when I tried Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, the same night I tried aScheider Aventues Dopple Bock. My favourite Plisner would have to be Urquel. The other day we tried Lowen Brau's Oktober Fest and Dunkel on tap. Both went down a treat 1L of each, even my flavour hating father law enjoyed those.

JCG

urquel is a chech pils and is a bit different to a german pilsner but bloody nice all the same.

try the german ones for a different perspective :)

cheers

Like to try the Schwelmer Pils - love pilsner and also I can use that grouse bottle for my brews. Anyone seen them at Dan Murphys??

Cheers, Hoges.

Yep, at my local Dan's they sell a boxed set of 4 x 500ml Schwelmer for about $14 i think. I bought a few sets now. Nice beer, good bottles.

There are two eucranian beers to try

Not to be a prat or anything, but the adjective is Ukranian. I've tried the Weihenstephaner before. I really like the size of the bottle, 490ml is a good amount. From memory (always a bit hazy) the green labelled variety is very nice. I think I've also given the Magnat a go, but if I did, it obviously didn't impress me overly.

Mic

yeah i know...... i cant spell :)

the Schwelmer Pils is available at dan murphys. Thats where i gotthem all from.

I would rather buy a 4 pack of these for $15 than a a six pack (same 2 liter volume) of aussie "premium" (so called) beer for $18

Its got my vote.

the bayrisch mild is a Helles through and through and was very nice. Not as nice as the pils though

i am saving a couple for tomorrow so will report back then

cheers

I would rather buy a 4 pack of these for $15 than a a six pack (same 2 liter volume) of aussie "premium" (so called) beer for $18

I know where you are coming from, but I tend to prefer to walk out with a sixer of a decent Australian microbrew. I've been meaning to try the Schwelmer Pils for a while now though, good to see the good reviews.

yeah but those 500ml flip op bottles are great :)

cheers

Like to try the Schwelmer Pils - love pilsner and also I can use that grouse bottle for my brews. Anyone seen them at Dan Murphys??

Cheers, Hoges.

Dan's at Mac Square has 'em....

If you want to find the really good and a little obscure stuff that you won't find in Dan Murphy's check out The International Beer Shop. They have all the main stream stuff and bunch of other wonderful beers too. They are not always cheap but they have some wonderful beers that are worth every cent you pay for them. Take a gamble the worst that can happen is that you don't like it. You can check them out here.

http://www.internationalbeershop.com.au/

There are two eucranian beers to try

Not to be a prat or anything, but the adjective is Ukranian. I've tried the Weihenstephaner before. I really like the size of the bottle, 490ml is a good amount. From memory (always a bit hazy) the green labelled variety is very nice. I think I've also given the Magnat a go, but if I did, it obviously didn't impress me overly.

Mic
To be a prat, or pedant, as I prefer: the adjective is Ukrainian. It's the right spelling, I hope...I Googled it.

BTW, all - Has anyone tried the Schwelmer Bernstein. It's great. Not sure what style, though. Prob a Bernstein style, and that's why it's hard to compare. Haven't tasted the Pil, but keen to give it a go.

As an aside to this convo, the stoppers in the Bernstein are ceramic, not plastic; unlike other swing-top bottles available in this country.

Seth BJCP wannabe gonnabe

Tony, benchmarking is great idea, see what you get right and wrong. I shall keep my eyes peeled for those bottles.

I sampled a Dogbolter at the Queens Pub in Perth and was surprised to find it re-encarnated as a dark lager. It used to be like it's namesake in the UK, an old ale. The new recipe worked for me as did the old one.

To be a prat, or pedant, as I prefer: the adjective is Ukrainian. It's the right spelling, I hope...I Googled it.

BTW, all - Has anyone tried the Schwelmer Bernstein. It's great. Not sure what style, though. Prob a Bernstein style, and that's why it's hard to compare. Haven't tasted the Pil, but keen to give it a go.

As an aside to this convo, the stoppers in the Bernstein are ceramic, not plastic; unlike other swing-top bottles available in this country.

Bernstein is vienna lager. Have seen it around but gave it a miss as I did NOT enjoy the Pils at all. In fact, I think the bottle was the best part. Too grassy for a German Pils.

BB

LOL my typo!

Latest posts

Back