Training a buddy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagma

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a mate coming up next weekend who wants to get in homebrew. I have put down about 15 brews but I'm seeking ideas.

I have the following I want to use up:
1x Tooheys Dark
1x Tooheys Dry Lager
1x Tooheys Draught
1kg of Brigalow malt extra

These were brought by people trying to encourage me to brew.... LOL

I was thinking of doing a toucan of dark & dry with some Goldings I have but I really have no idea when it comes to dark beers exception of porters which I don't mind like dark knight from Murray's.

My mate wants to learn about hops and crystal grains, so I'd be interested in any recipe & ideas you may have..

Thanks again,
Chris

Just keep it simple for your mates first beer. no need to overwhelm on the first try.
Use any of the kit tins, maybe the draught, 150g of crystal, the malt (I assume this is LDME? i dunno what malt extra is) and some hops. The quantity and variety depends on the type of beers your mate likes. I could suggest as a start try 20g of cascade for 10 min or so.nice bit of flavour, without complicating things too much.
make sure your mate tastes/smells the liquid at each stage so that he/she can work out what is going on at each step.
Give your mate a few of your brews during the process too, so they know what to expect in brews to come.

I agree, keep it simple,

Can of dark
Kilo of malt extract
Maybe a bit of dark crystal and a small boil + hops just to show the process is easy and results are good, naturally, he'll have to come back to sample in a couple of months ;)

Hi all,

Yob all the cans are fresh, my mate has brought a hb kit but i think he's afraid of it so i was just gonna run him through the process and try to get my toucan first toucan down :)

He's right into IPAs and hoppy beers so i have some of Neil's centarillio for him to sample.
Going by the bag of malt extra i'd say its meant to be a BE2 type of thing as it has dex and maltodextrin in it, to what percentages on god knows...

yes I would keep it simple with your mate. Make it a straight Kit and Kilo to show them how easy it is to make good beer. Then when they agree they can take it from there. Then the fun starts. Later you can both scheme together to make more better-er beers. Above all, have fun.

Back