Tough Tins

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i-a-n

Reaction score
I've often despaired with the strength of the tins that brew kits come in. And bought and wrecked many a tin opener...expensive ones too . Always reverting to an old folding, camping opener I bought for a few pennies years ago.

So how do you break into the bloody things?

1406422246400.jpg

1406422260779.jpg

Can't say I've ever had an issue. Don't buy the ones from Coles or woolies, even the expensive ones. Go somewhere like house or kitchen warehouse.

I had no probs ether Ian but I only use the camping can opener for every thing they are brilliant

i-a-n said:
I've often despaired with the strength of the tins that brew kits come in. And bought and wrecked many a tin opener...expensive ones too . Always reverting to an old folding, camping opener I bought for a few pennies years ago.

So how do you break into the bloody things?
That's not a can opener, that's a FRED!

The good old MagiCan does the trick for me too. I've been using it for years.

Don't bother trying the Tupperware can opener. What a piece of shit! And on top of that my wife pretty much took a second mortgage to buy the stupid thing. I still shake my head every time I open the draw and push it aside to grab the trusty MagiCan. And she wonders why I drink brew so much! Rant over...

sp0rk said:
That's not a can opener, that's a FRED!
F'ing ridiculous eating device. Standard issue up until a few yrs ago......we get spoons now. :)

CoopsOz said:
F'ing ridiculous eating device. Standard issue up until a few yrs ago......we get spoons now. :)
I've got an icecream container full of them floating around somewhere
We used to get given almost out of date ration packs to use as rations when we did Bush Bivouacs back when I was a Navy Cadet and for some reason I collected all the spares...

or, if you ever get stuck;

Last edited by a moderator:
When doing kits nothing in the drawer would do a good job.
Purchased a Wiltshire old style rotary opener from Big W. Never been an issue with any can since.

I feel your pain gsouth, FIL bought us one of the tupperware ones, opens about 1 in 3 cans....******* useless.

Edit: some weird typo....

It's not just you, our can opener is utterly useless also.

So I borrowed one of a backpacker who was staying with us, straight out the packet, and I was worried I had broken it on one if those tins.

Now I use DME and don't have a problem!

CoopsOz said:
Those spoons weren't issued for eating with! You need an update on your weapons training!

Back