Toucan Stout With Extras

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastdrinks

Reaction score
Just finished two AG double batches so my general drinking stocks are high again but my stout supply is low. Only 8 bottles of the good batch and 8 of the average batch. Its been a long time since i made my good batch, the recipe has gone walkabouts but roughly i know i made it from a can of coopers stout with a can of coopers lager, some choc malt and LDME, fermented with SAFALE-05.

Does anyone have a good recipe that matches this roughly? hoping to hit an alcohol content of 7-8% with some moderate roasty notes, toffee and coffee flavours.

One of the benefits of Stout is that you can make a reasonable kit or extract non-AG version that is very drinkable, as it is very roast driven . My Toucan Coopers 9% came upper-mid field as a RIS in the Nats last year (and yes I did declare it as a kit so it wasn't a sneaky :lol: )

The thing is, what choc type malt did you use? Joe White Choc Chit is no longer available, you might need to go Bairds choc for coffee and choc overtones, and mellow it out a bit with a kilo of LDME and maybe 500g of dex or moist brown sugar. Another thing I have discovered over the last year is that when it comes to roast barley you can go absolutely stupid without introducing harsh notes. I regularly use 800g :eek: in the mash. It's steepable and I guess you get the same bang for the buck steeping or mashing.

If I were adjusting my headbanger to sub a can of Coopers Lager I would probably look at:

Stout Can
Lager Can
1000 LDME
500 moist brown sugaz

500 roast barley steeped for half an hour
300 Carafa 2 """"""""""""""""""""""""

Nottingham ale yeast OR Wyeast Irish Ale 1085 if you have some hanging around

On day 4 of fermentation, chuck in a handful of anything UK

:super:

Well the fermenting fridge finally became free today. So it was time to put this stout down. A hangover and a lazy attitude made me not take all BribieG's advice and just barstardise with what i have in the cupboard. Much effort to drag my self out to the brew shop. So the below was put down.

1 can Coopers Stout
300 grams Roast Malt
350 Bairds pale choc
1 kg brown sugar
2 kg LDME

22litres of water.

safale-05 from a just brewed brown ale was used. fermentor fridge set to 18.5c.

havent decided what hops to throw in a few days.

Thanks for the brown sugar tip, using no crystal and roast barley theory. I'll see how the roast malt goes instead of roast barley, i read it is a better less harsh.

Latest posts

Back