Toucan Farmland Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm basically making a bit of an el-cheapo brew up for my younger brother and am not too sure that I'll be able to sample the finished results. I'm a tad worried that he may not like the results...so has anyone got some experience with the 'Farmland Draught' cans? Its a Coles own-brand bittered extract can.

Also, dry hopped with ~12g Hallertau and rehydrated my first sachet of yeast for the brew seeing as it was only the kit yeast. Yeah, I've gone all out on this one for my dear old brother, I know... :blink:

Hey all, I'm basically making a bit of an el-cheapo brew up for my younger brother and am not too sure that I'll be able to sample the finished results. I'm a tad worried that he may not like the results...so has anyone got some experience with the 'Farmland Draught' cans? Its a Coles own-brand bittered extract can.

Also, dry hopped with ~12g Hallertau and rehydrated my first sachet of yeast for the brew seeing as it was only the kit yeast. Yeah, I've gone all out on this one for my dear old brother, I know... :blink:

I've done a twocan of this before.

Used:
two farmland cans
150g 80ebc crystal
15g EKG @30min
10g EKG @ flameout
750g dextrose
250g corn sugar
safale s-04 yeast.

turned out pretty good IMO

I'm assuming that was to the standard 22~23L? That brew would have been a monster! What AbV% did it come out with?

Make sure you use both sachets of yeast.

IMO dry hopping isn't enough, boilup some (if not all) your wort and add hops for a boiling - min 20mins.

A bit of dex should be used as a kicker - abt 100 - 200gms.

Done Homebrand and turns out good. Used POR and Cluster, both work well.

I'm assuming that was to the standard 22~23L? That brew would have been a monster! What AbV% did it come out with?

made to 23L

was about 6.5%-7% once bottled and primed.

I just had the bag of coopers brew enhancer no1 laying around so i thought i may as well chuck it in as well.

did do a boil up KegDrainer, as the resulting liquid from the crystal grain needed to be boiled anyway, hence the EKG @ 30min and @ flameout.

[edit]
ok, i see you were refering to boingk dry hopping with hallertau

Also, randomly, it was easily the clearest brew i've ever made. the s-04 had the most compact yeast cake i've ever seen. could see straight through the bottles, and with a good steady pour it looked just like a filtered draught beer.

Not sure why it was so clear. I've done a few brews with s-04 before and none have come out like it before.

Looks like I'm off to a good start then with the own-brand type toucan batch. Nice.

As for clarity with beer...I don't seem to be having any problems with it at all, and I bottle straight from primary after no more than 7 to 12 days depending on the brew. Something amiss there? I find that leaving it at a coldish room temp [15 to 18'C] for 2 weeks seems to make a good clear beer - and yeah, you can see right through it! I usually test by reading some [curviture-distorted] writing off a PC screen.

KegDrainer - Yes, I did use both sachets. Rehydrated them in a few hundred mills of water along with 6g sugar before I pitched, seemed to get off to a cracking start. Now they won't let up! the fermenter is spewing foam from the airlock-hole...can't stop it. Just leave it? Temp is only 17~18'C, pitch was something like 28 hours ago...

And with the dry-hopping, I figured that the bitterness from two kits would make up for the random addition of hop pellets that I found in the freezer :rolleyes:

Ok, massive foaming has stopped, and batch is now at stage 2 fermentation. Stacks of bubbles rising and so forth. Excellent.

Sorry about not getting back to you earlier mate.....

Glad to see you survived the overboarding. I have my fermenters in those high-sided plastic storage boxes and let them go. Any mess is contained but dutifully cleaned as things happen.

With your hops, rather than introducing hops to a cool wort, try this.

When you empty your cans into the fermenter, rinse the cans of the residual extract an pour it into a pot.
Bring this to the boil and hold on a rolling boil.
Add hops, say 15 - 20 gms of your chosen, and boil for 15mins.
Add further hops and boil a further 5mins, remove from heat.
Put the pot into a sink or container of cold water to cool.
Carefully add the cooled brew to your fermenter. Hop 'bits' settle to the bottom and the wort can be poured off leaving the crud behind.

Using a low Alpha Acid hop should not affect your bitterness to any great extent, although POR boiled for 10mins & 5mins has a nice result.

These choice of hops is entirely up to you, perhaps someone could suggest o good flavouring/aroma hop for you for a draught. I know Cascade hops go well with a lager style.

Mate I'm really enjoying fiddling with hops and tasting each one in a base brew.

Cheers for the tip on the boiling - I always assumed you had to do it with the whole kit...which I personally can't be bothered with. I'll definitely give that a shot. For the rest of my brews however, the steep-'n'-chuck method works pretty well...they taste of the hops they should taste of at any rate, haha.

Latest posts

Back