Total Time In Fermenter... Is There A 'too Long' ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrycashman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got my second brew down... Munton's Yorkshire Bitter... going much better than the first... mostly due to the favourable weather, brew temp is stable at 19c with little mucking around from me... active bubbling and froth after 8 hours... all good.

I need to go OS on business for somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks... all my research says a minimum of 5 days after two stable SG readings, with 'longer better'... but is 14 days too long?

cheers. Jerry

Jerry Cashman
Canberra.

Well all my brews seem to take two weeks to reach a stable FG anyway so based on my very limited experience no it's not too long.

Just finished bottling a Hefeweizen this evening (15 April) that was pitched on 1 April think it's going to be my best one yet thanks to all the stuff I've learnt from this fantastic site.

A week or so after fermentation is finished is fine... provided you keep your temperature under control.

Edit If you have room, chuck it in a fridge and store it cold.

Ive had a couple of beers gone 10 days in the primary fermenter, then another two weeks in secondary and they have both turned out fine.

Note if you're new to the terms: "Secondary" just means that I transferred the beer from one fermenter to another one to take it off the yeast cake and let mroe yeast drop out.

So all in all, nothing to worry about I reckon.

:icon_offtopic: Dude, your new beer label is ROCKING! Can I commission you for a sketch idea that I have in my head ?

Primary for 2 weeks is fine and i have heard of a lot longer, the brew will finish better and be more clear.
In fact 2 weeks really should be the minimum standard, 7 days is often not enough.
I must admit that i sometimes don't even use a hydrometer for some standard kits, just wait 2 weeks, with an eye on the fermenter and bottle in 14 days (i know its lazy).
For more complex brews i DO use a hydrometer though.

You'll have to talk to Franko, he made it, if he has the time- my label caused many people to ask him to make one for them.

Last brew we did set for 4 weeks in the primary.

Don't worry and let it set as long as you know the temp will be fine durring active ferment.

Too long is when you run out of "drinking" beer and you have only "fermenting" beer left ;)

I am brewing in QLD. temp always around 26-30 over last six months. I have brewed bottled as soon as I get two stable readings but wondering if that is wrong now from what I read here. Brews have been good but if I leave it longer will they be better or is the high temp a reason to bottle quickly? Advice welcomed
BareBaron

30 is too high... 26 is a bit too warm....high temps make bad alcohol, you need a cooling solution... there are lots of idea's around
If you have the space go for a dead fridge with ice bricks daily or even better a live fridge with a fridgemate.
Worst case a crate with water in the bottom sit the fermenter in the bottom and a wet towel draped over it

I left a brew in the fermenter for 2 or 3 months after it had fermented out once - I was finishing my dissertation so barely had time to shower let alone brew.

Came out fine.

I was under the impression that too long on a yeast trub may cause bad flavours in which case rack to another vessel and leave for longer time.

Other people here know loads more than me.

There was a lot of discussion about that some time back, i forgot the technical term for it but there is a condition where the yeast eats itself and produces off flavors.
Apparently it's very rare... I wouldn't worry about it if you are bottling in less than 2 months.....

I was under the impression that too long on a yeast trub may cause bad flavours in which case rack to another vessel and leave for longer time.

Yes interesting question. I asked an "expert" the same and he had a very good point (note:and a big mouth), what about bottled beer that sits on the yeast in the bottle for up to 12 months. Since then I haven't worried about excess time on yeast and I have not had a problem.

I dont think racking would help, you would still be taking trub/yeast with you.
Ask 5 people, get 5 different answers, my experience is being a little short of time, a little lazy at times but having full temp control my beer sits in primary anywhere from 10 > 30 days. I have racked too secondary in the past and found it to be a total waste of time . I always now chill down the beer to 2deg after fg is reached, everything sets like cement including the trub. My beers are better since giving away secondary/racking, my thoughts being the yeast cleans up things better whilst the beer is on it, not off it. Bonus being less shite too clean and better beer.

edit, still secondary/rack when dry hopping.

I think the key word is 'may'. I think the technical term is autolysis. It can happen, Ive never seen it though, even for brews that I have left on the yeast cake for a while it hasnt yet.

Honestly, I dont think its worth worrying about on a homebrew scale - losing one 23 litre batch in 200 seems a relatively small price to pay for the hassle of racking to a secondary IMO. On a commercial scale, a different kettle of fish obviously.

I've noticed a difference racking (just in the amount of sediment I have to contend with when bottling) and find it quite a simple process. Nothing to do with off flavours though.

@ beerbouy - I guess the difference would be the amount and maybe the lack of much oxygen in the bottle? I'm only guessing/going on things I've read (mainly on here and in Palmer).

Latest posts

Back