Topaz hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topaz is certainly a good value bittering hop, high alpha and very cheap. But, I've found it to have quite a harsh bitterness to it.

Spiesy said:
Topaz is certainly a good value bittering hop, high alpha and very cheap. But, I've found it to have quite a harsh bitterness to it.
Yep - that harshness is what I meant by the grapefruit peel. I should have said pith. Save it for late additions and dry hopping methinks.

My Pale Ale had a Topaz bittering addition then Galaxy 10/60 and whirlpool. Makes a great Aussie Pale Ale when matched with JW malts.
I like the balance with topaz and galaxy, but I may have to look for another aroma hop now that galaxy is getting difficult to find.

mofox1 said:
Yep - last time was a Rye Amber/IPA with columbus for bittering, perle & tett late in the boil, and ella, perle and & topaz in the cubes. Good Stuff.
Sorry mate not down with all the lingo, but when you say cubes are you talking about the vessel you transfer your wort into post boil?

kunfaced said:
Sorry mate not down with all the lingo, but when you say cubes are you talking about the vessel you transfer your wort into post boil?
Yep, for those that use the "no chill" method.
I.e. transfer to "cube" and store until you want to ferment.

Tex083 said:
My Pale Ale had a Topaz bittering addition then Galaxy 10/60 and whirlpool. Makes a great Aussie Pale Ale when matched with JW malts.
I like the balance with topaz and galaxy, but I may have to look for another aroma hop now that galaxy is getting difficult to find.
Should still be a fair bit of Galaxy around.

It got scarce toward the end of last year, now that the new seasons crop has hit, it's back in bountiful supply, at least for now..

I don't think topaz makes for a good bittering addition, not compared to warrior, Hercules and German Magnum for example.

Late, sure.

Oh man I'm in France and won't be back until July hoping Galaxy will still be around then! If not I will try other hops. Any chance you will be getting more Perle You?

Yob said:
It got scarce toward the end of last year, now that the new seasons crop has hit, it's back in bountiful supply, at least for now..
Mind you, Hop Products Australia (the growers) have been out for a number of weeks. No more stock there. Will depend on how much stock the subbies (or retailers) have available.

Updated my recipe for the Topaz CBA, as I drifted from my original plan on brew day. Apparent calculations now sit at 171IBUs. I havent brewed anything even half of that. Went to check on the brew before and was blasted with a super sweet fruity aroma, big difference to the usual yeasty farts Im use to. First time using west yorkshire yeast too, there is a massive think coagulant krauesen present, to the likes I've never seen before. I'm second thinking about the dry hopping now, does anyone have an opinion or suggestion? Peace

Yob said:
What's that in metric? ;)
(56g)
Sorry I assumed everyone in Australia smokes weed. I'll make it 60g for 20L of brew. All up for the entire brew that makes 10.5g/L of topaz. Should definitely be able to taste what it is about.

kunfaced said:
Sorry I assumed everyone in Australia smokes weed. I'll make it 60g for 20L of brew. All up for the entire brew that makes 10.5g/L of topaz. Should definitely be able to taste what it is about.
Jesus H. Christ, man!

I believe you may suffer from Topaz aversion following this brew. That's a whole lot of Topaz!

Waiting to hear the outcome, as I've got 500grms of Topaz flowers in the freezer...
The last two 50ltr brews had Topaz early and late with Home grown Cascade late.
Session IPA and AUS PA have worked well with Topaz for me.

Changed plans, dry hopped today with 30g topaz, 30g ella and 30g galaxy. Will be transferring off cake in 3 days time. Taste test to come

Latest posts

Back