Tool for removing ball lock Cornelius posts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
I recently discovered that despite owning colossal amounts of tools, I did not have anything that would remove posts from a Cornelius keg, for cleaning.

Having multi wrenches & socket sets, the need for an actual set of spanners has never arisen - but these were no good due to space constraints around the post.

Just wondering if a single tool exists to do the job, or should I just buy a 20 piece ratchet spanner set?

The posts on my 9 & 18L Cornies are of different size, so assuming there will be other makes that are different again.

Take a look around the "Tools" tables at your local markets.
Used ring spanners are always going cheap at places like this.
Picked up a ringie for mods to my kegerator the other month for 5 bux.

Shifter usually works as well, if the post is not too tightly screwed on you can wiggle it in and it does the trick. Note that the German cornies that were prevalent a few years ago in the CraftBrewer bulk buys take a smaller spanner on the beer out post than the Yankee jobs.

I have 4 kegs and I had to buy 17mm, 19mm and a 22mm ring spanners to be able to get them all open. The ratchet ring spanners are sweet.

TidalPete said:
Take a look around the "Tools" tables at your local markets.
Used ring spanners are always going cheap at places like this.
Picked up a ringie for mods to my kegerator the other month for 5 bux.
sometimes the local pawn shop also has a bucket of old loose spanners / sockets in the tool section
i often have a rummage in them if i need to fill a gap or something

look for better brands and no what the average "new" price is as some pawn brokers etc think tools are made of gold...

Bribie G said:
Note that the German cornies that were prevalent a few years ago in the CraftBrewer bulk buys take a smaller spanner on the beer out post than the Yankee jobs.
An 11/16" AF ring spanner did the job IIRC Bribie. Not sure what size metric that was though.

I got a metric long socket set I use Matty if u want to borrow, or just test fit to make sure before buying your own. I'll be about if u wanna grab them.

I've got two sizes to deal with as well, haven't dis-assembled the 9L AEB yet though.

Imperial spanner roll, does the job. Posts, regulator collar etc. it works with all that and most inch dimentioned fittings external wrench flats. Got it cheap though, I'd suggest the same as TP, try the local markets and cash converters etc for a cheap solution. Supercheap auto also seem to have buckets of cheap one off spanners that'd do the job.

djar007 said:
Lol Shaunos. I hope they are high impact. In the interests of fitters and overkill. Hehe
I take mine off with an 1-1/2 drive rattle gun, the mans way. ;)

I have many different size keg connectors also, I just grab whatever is on my toolbox that fits, never look at sizes.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I almost decided on purchasing a 20 or 25 piece spanner set (which are around the $50 mark). Already having a couple of socket sets, I also looked at getting some longer add on sockets that would fit over the pins, but would have to purchase at least 2 for the two different pin sizes, and if a different sized pin turned up on a new keg, then these would not do the job.

I was in Bunnings today, and happened to see a universal wrench made by Trojan (picture below). I have just finished testing this on the two kegs with different pin sizes and it does the job almost perfectly. Just tap with a rubber hammer and your good to go. Thought I would mention this in case it helps someone out. Cost me $9.95.

20140819_173517.jpg

In the process of checking the pins on all of my kegs however, I have discovered a new problem. Two of the gas in pins are star shaped, meaning everything discussed above will not do the job (picture attached). Any suggestions? I am guessing a proprietary tool will be required.

Perhaps I will just see if I can get 2 replacement gas pins to suit and swap them out.....

20140819_170002.jpg

All the standard wrench sets have those 'stars' on the other side.

image_17410.jpg

spark plug sockets is what i use.
even better they only come in those two sizes.

If they're like some of mine they are imperial double hex fittings. The right sized single hex ring spanner or socket should fit but double hex will allow more range of movement. An open ended spanner won't be much use though.

Back