Tooheys Old Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewman_ said:
Just one comment I have on the recipe and the side by side taste off I did with a stubby of old.
The real Old, has a very slight sulphur on the nose, something I associate with a lager yeast characteristic. With the SO4, you don't get that. Otherwise it was a very good clone. The alternate yeast Saf 34/70 I think would give that same character, but I have not done that version yet.
Old is actually brewed with a proper Ale yeast

Ducatiboy stu said:
Old is actually brewed with a proper Ale yeast
I guess the aroma is grain driven.

Not saying it's better or worse, just a noticeable difference.

When I did the xxxx brewery tour earlier in the year the tour guide confirmed that it is an ale yeast, wasnt a pimply faced teenager either he'd been working at the brewery for forty years

Brewman_ said:
Your on Les! You place or mine?
Best be yours this time, and I'm thinking of a clean yeast for my half - say American wheat.
You ready for the HUB/Murrays brew day this weekend?

We can report results back here for our brews.

Les the Weizguy said:
Best be yours this time, and I'm thinking of a clean yeast for my half - say American wheat.
You ready for the HUB/Murrays brew day this weekend?

We can report results back here for our brews.
I like the sound of the yeast.

At this stage I am out for Murray's unfortunately... Very disappointed about that. But I am definitely in for Bitter and Twisted.

Chat offline about the split brew...

I love me an old! I'm gonna give that recipe a crack. Need to change anything for biab?

I think I'll give Brewman's recipe a try with that wyeast 1007 German ale. Stupid question but when do you add the sugar Brewman? I also see you have 68c as your sac rest temp, fairly high, adding a bit of body?

I always add da sugaz to the FV rather than wasting any by chucking out sweet trub rather than plain trub.
In UK breweries that use sugar it's usually invert sugar that adds colour and flavour so it's added to the kettle but I don't do it with plain old sugaz in an Ozzie.

jc64 said:
I think I'll give Brewman's recipe a try with that wyeast 1007 German ale. Stupid question but when do you add the sugar Brewman? I also see you have 68c as your sac rest temp, fairly high, adding a bit of body?
If adding sugar like in the recipe, you would need to mash higher to maintain some body in the beer, or it would thin out too much.

The main mash is at 68 for 60, which should be high enough? Not sure I could ever be persuaded that 30+% sugar in a recipe is a good thing though.

I love tooheys old,best value for money mainstream beer in Australia at $46 a slab,just a shame it's never on tap anywhere in victoria,only time I've ever seen it was at the arcadia(cnr punt rd/toorak rd)on tap over 20 yrs ago.I don't enter that many comps but the best score I ever got was for my tooheys old clone,114.5/150 at vicbrew in '09.Aussie dark ale is a bloody good style,fairly easy to make,pilsener as the base to keep it fairly light with a touch of black 2-3% and a touch of chocolate malt 1%,little bit of wheat if that tickles you fancy,POR to 25 ibu's bittering addition only,yeast-saf 05or saf 04 or recultured coopers or German alt.Coopers dark ale is bloody nice on tap too,had it at the coopers ale house last year after seeing the tiges beat the crows on a boys weekend over there.But once again you pretty much have to be in Adelaide to get it.Even Carlton black was half decent but that's gone by the wayside I think.Ah well,time to brew an Aussie dark.

Coalminer said:
Hey Les
All of Brewmans recipes are good value :super:
OK, you got me there. Just didn't need to go off and make this all about the Brewman.

Can't recall when I have bought recipes/grain elsewhere.

Steve, is the T.O. recipe in your Brewman recipe list? Do we need to test drive a few yeasts before you add it?

Les the Weizguy said:
Steve, is the T.O. recipe in your Brewman recipe list? Do we need to test drive a few yeasts before you add it?
Hey Les,
Yes the recipe is there already. Note that there are two.
Tooheys Old. The estimated ABV on this one is around 5.4% (A little high for the TO, but some may like it)
Tooheys Old_BMan. This basically a revised version of the one above but I pulled back the ABV to 4.4%

Quite often the recipes will have some yeast alternatives, so if come up with something we can add that yeast to the recipe.

Cheers Steve

Blind Dog said:
The main mash is at 68 for 60, which should be high enough? Not sure I could ever be persuaded that 30+% sugar in a recipe is a good thing though.
It should be 30% of gravity, not by weight.
Because it's a clone of commercial beer then .. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Australia is the only country in the world that uses large amounts of cane sugar in its mainstream beers, not sure about NZ.
A compelling theory is that this arose in the early 20th Century when early closing and the six o'clock swill came in.

With only an hour to get pissed, workers would flood into pubs and gulp down as many schooners as possible, often standing with legs apart and up to ten glasses on the floor between them.
So a very light bodied but strong beer was required with little "chewiness" or hop character. Just cold and quick.

Thus sugar.
One of the major obstacles to craft beers becoming more popular is the fact that they have flavour and body and thus don't taste like what beer is supposed to taste like.

Back