Tooheys Old Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was waiting for a lot of flak straight off the bat with this thread, relieved, and surprised.

TheWiggman said:
Bugger me, a mega swill thread and not a single horse piss reference in 17 posts? Overall positive reviews? You've changed AHB.
I'll seldom not have a glass at a pub/club but agree about it seeming thin sometimes. Between clubs it can taste different. I recall doing a round of 9 at Duntry Leagues in Orange, sitting down after 2 hours walking in the sun and it was one of the best drops if ever had. Magic. A few months later though in another pub it seemed completely different. In any case a far better product than New and glad it's on tap where New isn't.
I would have argued that it's a good option for a beer when you are out and about regardless.

Will admit to a liking for a Tooheys Old if I'm out and about. Would put it before a fair number of craft beers I've had in the recent past as well.

Blind Dog said:
Will admit to a liking for a Tooheys Old if I'm out and about. Would put it before a fair number of so called craft beers I've had in the recent past as well.
FTFY

Was out and about on the weekend at a couple of Craft Breweries. Great day I have to say, and did enjoy most of the beers. But I discovered one Craft brewery doesn't like feedback at all even after they asked me for it.
And there was no Old Tap. So.. off I went to the next.

OT, sorry

How does it taste in bottles compared to a good example on tap? Must admit I don't think I've ever had it in the stubby.

TheWiggman said:
How does it taste in bottles compared to a good example on tap? Must admit I don't think I've ever had it in the stubby.
Not too bad actually, Just make sure it's fresh. An old bottle can taste a bit like nothing.

Brewman_ said:
Yep really simple recipe, It is a very simple beer.

Not sure what Tony got hold of, but I used Thomas Fawcett's Chocolate at 4%, BB Pale, 64% about 32% Sugar. And I think it was spot on.
What hops and yeast?
I'm doing my inaugural Kyogle brew on Sunday and will have a crack at it, haven't done a dark ale for yonks.

POR....cant remeber the yeast...I know it wasnt a fancy one as they where not really available back then

I brought up, or at least contributed to a TO thread many years ago. Depending on the qualities that you like from it, the best advice I got back then, and I stand by it today, is to brew a schwarzbier. TO, especially cold, carries very few characteristics that I get from (and desire from) brown ales or dark ales etc... and the best versions I've brewed of it (best as in most pleasing to my palate for what I want from it) have generally been lagers, with the odd cool-fermented us05. I've only just come back to brewing lagers now after a few years and my first few are all schwarz.

Of course, if you like it to warm a little to promote its various characteristics then a dark ale is a great way to go. If you like to guzzle 17 of them cold, then I find treating it like a schwarz is very rewarding.

Just another perspective, no right or wrong of course.

Good idea, I might mash fairly low then run the fermentation through with Notto at say 15 degrees to get the dry and crisp characteristics. I seem to remember about six years ago I did a version for a comp, and used Notto cold as suggested by Ross at the time.

Some good discussion in this thread, both about the beer, and how best to brew an example. Good stuff.

fraser_john said:
LOL - Unfriended.

I'll make sure that we have it for you at Beer Camp.
and John that would be great :p

Bribie G said:
What hops and yeast?
I'm doing my inaugural Kyogle brew on Sunday and will have a crack at it, haven't done a dark ale for yonks.
Hops POR.

Yeast is SO4.

I can post the full recipe if you like?

TO is my go to beer when all the other taps are the usual mega brewers everyday products (notice how carefully I avoided the term megaswill?).

At my previous golf club they had a JS tap, and this usually served JS brews in rotation. But if I was the designated driver, I'd drink a bruiser (50/50 TO & Hahn Light) or a charlie ( mostly Hahn Light with a good dash of TO and I'll leave you to figure why it was named in honour of Charlie Perkins).

My current golf club burned down a few weeks ago, so we only have bottled beer from the Phoenix bar (in a converted shipping container) and TO is my regular order.

It's a good beer, not complicated, not a challenge to drink, but passes muster every time.

Here's the recipe off BrewBuilder Brewman.

Tooheys Old.jpg

Just one comment I have on the recipe and the side by side taste off I did with a stubby of old.
The real Old, has a very slight sulphur on the nose, something I associate with a lager yeast characteristic. With the SO4, you don't get that. Otherwise it was a very good clone. The alternate yeast Saf 34/70 I think would give that same character, but I have not done that version yet.

Latest posts

Back