Tooheys Extra Dry Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
I was hoping someone might have a Tooheys Extra Dry recipe that works and tastes good.

I have made my own attempt using Black Rock Dry and a mix of malts/sugars that turned out reasonable but have noticed that most references include using
Super Alpha' hops. Are these the ticket or is there something else that works.
would love to know, my brother keeps Tooheys in business Im sure and I would love to help him out with a quality interpretation.

I saw one in a Morgan's booklet about a month ago, it was something like:

1x Thomas Coopers Heritage Lager
1x BrewCellars Blend #10
1x Those lame Pride of Ringwood tea-bags.
There was also some kind of Enzyme but I cannot remember the name right now.

I haven't made it myself, my guess is it wouldn't be too close to TED unless you made a proper Lager though.

I was hoping someone might have a Tooheys Extra Dry recipe that works and tastes good.

I have made my own attempt using Black Rock Dry and a mix of malts/sugars that turned out reasonable but have noticed that most references include using
Super Alpha' hops. Are these the ticket or is there something else that works.
would love to know, my brother keeps Tooheys in business Im sure and I would love to help him out with a quality interpretation.

How about trying this...I am presuming you dont steep grain.

1.7kg European lager or similar
0.5kg Dry wheat spray malt
0.5kg Cane sugar

Dry hop with 5g of Pride of ringwood and 10g of hallertau
Use S-23 at 18 deg constant ferment

This will not give you a TED clone but it will be a nice brew that should please a TED drinker.

Cheers Brad

I dont get it??

Usually by now some craft brewing god would have made a disparaging remark about TED, probably involving urine...

OP, I am in the same boat, mates love my beer, but every now and then want a decent Tooheys clone.
I am going to experiment with Morgans Blue Mountain lager and a few bits this weekend.

DK

If you mean someone saying piss in a bottle then bury it for a few days in a compost heap then drink, then no......... I'd say Brad's suggestion should fit the bill nicely. Also use a fairly well attenuating yeast such as Nottingham and ferment at 16 to get a drier beer.

DK beat me to it :p

I have a morgans recipe sheet lying around here somewhere, let me have a look.

Found it: Tooheys Extra Dry

1x Morgans Australian Lager
1kg Booster Blend
Dry Enzyme
12g Pride of Ringwood Finishing Hops
OG = 1038
FG = 1005
7.1 EBC
5.1% Alcohol

I did K+K for years and Morgans Blue Mountain was a good lager base I used many times. Both suggestions of a Dry Enzyme and Nottingham yeast fermented warm should give the dryness you require. Super Pride hops, I would swap out for Pride of Ringwood as they are both very similar.

Drew

piss in a bottle then bury it for a few days in a compost heap then drink

Bingo ! Out of Context quote will do.

Brad's idea is a good one, although I would lean towards Saaz instead of Hall, but any noble will be nice.
I think its either TED or Pure Blonde that claims on the 6pack packaging to use Saaz

I prefer TED over Pure Blonde, good on a summers day :ph34r:

OP the one thing you need to do is keep a good control of your fermentation temp, even more important when trying to brew an aussie style lager. What type of temp control do you have? I must confess I have never bought a TED.

Cheers

I'm a bit perplexed, and if what I'm reading to be true, then I have learned something today (mostly I'm just here for the love these days). Michael mentioned that a low fermentation temp results in a drier beer. I would simply mash at some stupidly unacceptable temp , and choose a highly attenuative yeast, maybe add some sugar. But can lower ale fermentation temp really make much of a difference ?

EDIT: I tried a TED just before Xmas, because I wanted the clear bottle. 3/4 went down the drain.

I thought it was the Dry Enzyme that made it dry?

My understanding seems about the same as yours, Ted. Lower ferment temp will reduce esters but AFAIK won't result in a drier beer through increased attenuation. But then again maybe from a sensory perspective, we perceive less estery beers as drier?

Latest posts

Back