Tooheys Extra Dry Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was the Dry Enzyme that made it dry?

Mate, without complicating things too much, there's a lot that all-grain brewers can do during their mash to assist in attenuation, by altering temps. Still won't get you down to dry emzyme territory.

Back on topic - all searching I have done in the past about dry enzyme is that it's shit, and no-one seems to have used it with much success on a homebrew scale.

Nottingham is a good attenuater and will strip alot of flavours along the way. At a lower temp will give a cleaner (yeast) profile as opposed to warmer temps.

I used to drink the odd TED but now I homebrew and find them taste less haha

IN all honesty though, I recently got a slab with mates for $32 at 1st choice liquor stores. Given that by the time u buy all the ingredients you are prob looking at $25, is an extra carton from brewing it urself really worth all that time?

TEDS is not a dry clean lager, no body has mentioned sulpher yet in this thread.

$25 for 8.2lts of home brew?

ok carton of TED is 8.2lts

take 21lt batch I do with extract (sure the malt and dex is bulk bought)

2.5 kg LDME = $13.75
300g dex = 60c
say allow 100g of hops (depending on the brew thats shit loads) $10 and thats retail price if I go by bulk buy its about $6.40
yeast say $4.50

= $28.85 (or $25.25 using bulk hops) for 21lts of 5% in keg or 5.4% in bottle beer you could add crystal in there for about $1 a brew to make it better.

so home brew $1.37 a lt
TED $3.90 a lt

I used to drink the odd TED but now I homebrew and find them taste less haha

IN all honesty though, I recently got a slab with mates for $32 at 1st choice liquor stores. Given that by the time u buy all the ingredients you are prob looking at $25, is an extra carton from brewing it urself really worth all that time?

Farkin oath it is... id rather drink something decent that doesnt taste like metallic cats piss.

There is this sulpher character in TEDs but its not so much DMS its the lager yeast sulpher , how can you get that with some peoples suggestion of using notingham at low temps, nott at low temps would make a way better beer then TEDs'.
Teds is a doctered beer session on what canned corn/DMS sulpher etc etc etc.

Its vegetal and fowl, I like my swill to taste like nothing TEDs is not clean.

Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions.
I steep grains and hops for many brew and have just started to dabble in AG/BIAB,
I make heaps of better beers I would rather drink than TED, I have made several 'copies' that come close,
my main problem is the hoping. I cant believe that 'super alpha' is right....suggestions of POR may be worth looking into.
Anyway I now have a bit to work from,

I have used Dry Enzyme with great success and find it pulls most brews down to 1002-1004...almost water without any noticable effect.

Good brewing, all
:icon_chickcheers:

maybe buy some iso hops using real hops will not get you close I have tried heaps of "clone" recipes yet to find one thats close

im thinking to just add a small amount of hops..unsure what kind, but only like 10g steeped added to my previous method.
The underlying taste is good and the small hops addition will help to lift the flavour and aroma.

Back