Tooheys Dark Ale Not Fermenting!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxrmck

Reaction score
Hi,
Yesterday I put down a Tooheys Dark ale with 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 packet of coopers brew enhancer #1 and some chocolate flavour. When I pre wet the yeast,(sugar and yeast in a cup of luke warm water) it only bubbled up a little bit. I did use the tooheys kit yeast so that in itself may be the problem as I have heard differing reports on that kit yeast. I pitched the yeast anyway and 1 day later I have hardy any bubbles coming out of the fermentor after 24hrs. I have checked that it is airtight. Usually my other brews are bubbling away heaps by now.

The brew is sitting at 22 Deg.

Any ideas anyone.

Should I wait another day then pitch a better yeast if there is still minimal activity??

Your own suggestion is just about spot on to what I'd do.

Rather than listen to the pop of the airlock, look. Is there a yeast head, or maybe even a ring of merrang (not krausen, that is for crappie lager brewing).

If so sweet, you have a leak. Your eyes will reveal much more than the sounds of brewing...

Scotty

Hi,
Yesterday I put down a Tooheys Dark ale with 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 packet of coopers brew enhancer #1 and some chocolate flavour. When I pre wet the yeast,(sugar and yeast in a cup of luke warm water) it only bubbled up a little bit. I did use the tooheys kit yeast so that in itself may be the problem as I have heard differing reports on that kit yeast. I pitched the yeast anyway and 1 day later I have hardy any bubbles coming out of the fermentor after 24hrs. I have checked that it is airtight. Usually my other brews are bubbling away heaps by now.

The brew is sitting at 22 Deg.

Any ideas anyone.

Should I wait another day then pitch a better yeast if there is still minimal activity??

can i go off topic a bit and why people use brown sugar with there brews, i know a mate of mine does, i thought it was not the done thing? or is it just used with tooheys dark?

cheers

Gav

Hi,

Activating your yeast in luke warm water may have put your yeast into shock. Always measure the temp of your starter before putting the yeast in. 35 - 40 is still in the lukewarm area and is way too hot for most yeasts (not that you used these temps, example only).

Aim to have a maximum temp of 25, some say this is too hot but none of mine have failed (yet).

If you have shocked your yeast, give the brew a gentle stir and leave it for a few hours to see if it starts working again, otherwise pitch again and make sure your starter is of a reasonably cool temp. - 25 max.

Good luck mate. :beer:

I.B.

BTW. I am just about to set down the same brew with 1kg dextrose, 250gm light dme, 100gms cornsyrup and a cluster hopbag (tea).

Latest posts

Back