Too Low A Temp For A Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
I have brewed a dark ale from the following recipe.

Tooheys Dark Ale
500g DDME
500g LDME
200g Dextrose

Brewed 10 Days ~18 degrees.

Racked to Secondary and temp is now sitting at around 15 degrees.

Is 15 too low for a secondary fermentation?

I plan to leave it in secondary for 2 weeks.

Brownie.

I plan to leave it in secondary for 2 weeks.

Why Brownie, is it slow to clear? What was the OG and what is the current SG,? What yeast did you use?

Sorry more questions than Tony Barber I know, but it helps get replies if this stuff is included.

I plan to leave in secondary because I have a full dance card until then.

I really just want to know is 15 degrees to low for secondary fermentation?

Brownie.

That depends on what yeast you are using? Different yeasts have different fermentation temps.

Nah. Don't stress
10 days @ 18c even with the kit yeast is fine!
Secondary for 7/10 days @ 15c will drop out most yeast.
maybe warm up to 18/20 b4 bottling or bottle and store for 7 days @ 18 20 for carbonation.
If you are in no hurry (6 weEks ) Don't worry about temps and bottle and store and 4 get.

I find that all ale yeasts perform quite well down to 15c for both primary and secondary and rarely ferment above 17/18 c these days.Weizens/wheats ,and the planned belgian golden @ 20/22c are the exceptions.

dave.

All,

Thanks for the feedback.

FTR - Using Safale S-04 Yeast.

Brownie

IMO fermentation temp is important, racking to a secondary vessel is only useful in assisting to clear the beer. Get's it off the yeast where there will always be a small amount of activity due to a small count of organisms other than the main strain. So temp at secondary should not be an issue, within reason. The time taken to clear will depend on the strain of yeast used ans some other variables. Think S04 in an extract beer should have cleared by now, have you cracked the tap and looked at a small sample in a glass.

Latest posts

Back