Todays Brew (All Day IPA)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Planned to make a session IPA, loosely based on Founders -

All Day IPA (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 3.5 (EBC): 6.9
Bitterness (IBU): 54.0 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

56.18% Pilsner
28.09% Golden Promise Malt
11.24% Torrified Wheat
4.49% Carapils (Dextrine)

0.7 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Ella (14% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Used some leftover GP and decided to add Torrified to give it a bit of a 'different' edge. Hoping it imparts a small amount of tartness to a somewhat dry-ish, sessionale brew.

What happened to the seven sheds clone?

Recipe looks nice. Are those additions really 10 min additions, or are they your cube additions?

Seven Sheds clone was cubed last week. Will report back on it after it's fermented and carbonated.

They are literally 10 min additions. Basically a 10 min IPA in essence, more leaning towards an easy drinking session IPA. Will dry hop with Citra methinks.

I tried the Founders All Day Session IPA for the first time just last week, was love at first taste... Let me know how close this comes out...

It was amazing wasn't it?

I don't think Founders uses GP or even that same combination of hops to be honest and definitely no torrified, but what I am looking for is a similar tasting easy and refreshing beer.

This one seems to have stalled around 1015. Est FG is 1011, so I racked it to secondary and bumped the ferm fridge up to 22c to hopefully knock those last few points off.

Looks like it's working a treat. Nice, healthy krausen on top. Can't imagine it'll take too long to finish off. Probably already has to be honest.

What mash sched did you do? What yeast and how's the balance of bitterness so far?

Sounds tasty btw. 3.3g/l at 10min looks goooood

Just a straight single infusion mash at 64c. US05 for the yeast. This'll be very similar to any other 10 min IPA out there, but I was hoping for a dryer and smoother beer.

Will probably CC after Wednesday until Sunday, and then Keg/Bottle.

slcmorro said:
Just a straight single infusion mash at 64c. US05 for the yeast. This'll be very similar to any other 10 min IPA out there, but I was hoping for a dryer and smoother beer.
Will probably CC after Wednesday until Sunday, and then Keg/Bottle.
It's interesting it stalled initially. I would have thought a 64 deg mash would have attenuated higher than that, like 80% ish to end up about 1.009

I'm only expecting 1.011, so a couple of points either way won't bother me a great deal, providing it's finished.

Finished at 1.011 today. Best practice would be to leave it and see if it hits the same mark for a few more days, but I'm confident it's done. Plus, I'm kegging it so there's no risk of bottle bombs. Just dry hopped with 20gm Citra, 20gm Amarillo and 10gm NS.

So this one made it's way into the keg and bottles this morning while I was mashing in a Vienna Lager.

All I have to say is, wow. Myself and a friend were more than happy to drink this out of the fermenter. It came out far better than I imagined it would. Very crisp, clean and refreshing. Looking forward to quaffing this one carbonated when the weather heats up some.

hi slcmorro, I assume this has been carbonated in keg now, any updates tasting wise? as im looking to have a crack at this on the weekend.

just wanted to confirm your final volume? so I can adjust dry hop additions.
and appears you no chill also? so I wont have to adjust 10 min additions.

I knew I would forget a few questions!

would you change any of the grains? as I am ordering them all from scratch its easy to adjust
appears it was a 64degree mash for 60 mins? and 60 min boil?

Hi mate.

Final volume was 19L bang on the money.
I did no chill, yes.
I wouldn't change the grist at all, it's perfect for what I was aiming for. Dry enough to be refreshing, but still with some residual sweetness (but not much) to create a good mouthfeel.
I *might* drop the NS dry addition, as even with those other hops (both boil and dry) it's still slightly overpowering. Not in a bad way, but it definitely the dominant hop. It's more fruity than resiny.
Yes, 60 min mash and 60 min boil.

Just on a side note, this dropped crystal clear and I mean beautifully clear, after only 5 days in the keg. I used whirlfloc and a whirpool like normal before siphoning into the cube, and I still dumped the entire contents directly into the fermenter.

Well this was an absolute treat! It's almost all gone, and today I had a friend bring around a 6 pack of these. I poured him and the others random glasses from my keg and from the commercial equivalent, and no-one could tell the difference. What was meant to be loosely based, turned out to be a damn near carbon copy. Mine is slightly lighter in colour.

I love Founders All Day Ipa and will be having a go at this in the near future. Cheers slcmorro.

ive got 10l of this dry hopping at the moment, tastes great out of the fermenter!
will report back once kegged

Latest posts

Back