Tobacco Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive me, this is from memory (a pre google concept)
In the first quarter of the last century there used to be a product called " Blackleaf 40", this was a tabacco extract used as some sort of a *cide (fungicide, insecticide,herbicide, you get the picture). Workers processing this could and did die if some was spilt on them. The nicotine was absorbed through the skin, nicotine despite what smokers may say and think is a powerfull stimulant (the relaxtion or stress relief from the fag is merely proof of addiction) and an OD = Death.

K

Huh....yeah but that was back then....this is now.
Nicotine has come a long way since then.
No, I won`t have it, don`t try ringing in that 18th century malarkey here, dr.k!!
{you seem to figure in all these offbeat outburts}

stagga.

Rich alcohols and other flavours are often used in tobacco (eg port royal, bank) so i guess you could reverse it. I'm an ex smoker who still enjoys the occassional smoke but it's not an idea that tempts me.

Let us know how it goes though.

@everyone who automatically thinks of butts in the brew:

Fresh tobacco and smoked ends are completely different things. In fact it's a little bit like comparing stale beer left in the stubbie from the night before with your HB best.

It's all about perspective.

Rich alcohols and other flavours are often used in tobacco (eg port royal, bank) so i guess you could reverse it. I'm an ex smoker who still enjoys the occassional smoke but it's not an idea that tempts me.

Let us know how it goes though.

@everyone who automatically thinks of butts in the brew:

Fresh tobacco and smoked ends are completely different things. In fact it's a little bit like comparing stale beer left in the stubbie from the night before with your HB best.

It's all about perspective.

you`re "an ex smoker who still enjoys the occassional smoke?"

stagga.

20 cigarettes a day as opposed to 3 cigarettes in as many months?

Yes I think so.

Now in large scale processing, high concentrations can lead to deaths. Its a cardio stimulant and will send your heart racing which has led to deaths. But again, not in the levels of homefarm production and use.

A FOAF once steeped a leaf of uncured home-grown in a plunge coffee infuser, and had to lie down for quite some time after a couple of cups. So all I can say is that the processing that goes into Bank must strip it of a lot of its potency. BTW, the brew tasted exactly like cigarettes smell, left a burning sensation in the back of the throat, and there is no way someone could glug a lot down accidentally. Obviously, nicotine in its natural state would appear to be highly water-soluble, but I also recall that it may be volatile in steam.

Even as an ex-smoker I couldnt think why anyone would want to put tobacco into their beer :icon_vomit:

Mind you a lot of red wine's have the description of "cigar box" and that is a lovely flavour...

Even as an ex-smoker I couldnt think why anyone would want to put tobacco into their beer :icon_vomit:

That seems to be the consensus. I wonder if the responses would have been different if I asked some ex tobacco chewers...

I am interested in this now.

I added a cigar scroll, which is similar to a cigar box. The aroma of this infuses over time via the air. Maybe you could suspend a chopped cigar in mesh over the beer in a secondary vessel for a month or so to infuse via the atmosphere. Might create mould problems.

Santa Damiana choc vanilla porter wouldn't be bad.

One of the Micheal Jackson books talked about a beer flavoured with tobacco, I'll have a look this evening.

Here it is FWIW - Christoffel Taboe.
" This is flavoured with tabacco essence during primary fermentation. The beer has a slight suggestion of cigar smoke: sweet, especially in the aroma, and then dry and leafy" - M J.
Basicly a novelty version of Christoffel Roberus dark lager - from Limburg, The Nertherlands.

Interesting to come across this topic, a few days ago I was eyeing off my boxes of shisha* and wondering how it could be introduced to beer. AFAIK it is only about 15% tobacco, and the rest is fruit, fruit flavours, glycerine and mostly molassas.

(* shisha is the 'tobacco' used in Arabic water pipes, or Hookahs)

Allah Akbar

dubai_shisha_shades.jpg

Was a 50 a day smoker and gave it up cold turkey when the wife was pregnant with our first.

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and still the thought of a smoke gives me a vomity feeling.

Putting anything to do with tobacco in a beer, forget it here.

Don't know about tobacco but I have had beer which was made using hemp, and have seen many recipes which incorporate its use. At the end of the day we all use hops in our beers which are simply perrennial hemp any way. The one I tried was acctually quite nice, had good bitterness and a very nice aroma.

Latest posts

Back