Tobacco Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmmmm. Mouth cancer. :icon_drool2:

:huh: :icon_vomit:

I added a cigar scroll to the boil on a dark beer once.

You would have to be an extremely light hand with steeping or boiling tobacco, it is a pretty hectic poison.

In the early days of of the colony in NSW when hops were rarely available, desperate brewers tried all sorts of stuff to bitter their brews including tobacco and the local Australian flora. Mmmm, eucalyptus ale!

I added a cigar scroll to the boil on a dark beer once.

You would have to be an extremely light hand with steeping or boiling tobacco, it is a pretty hectic poison.

Yeah, I remember reading something about tobacco extract (more or less refined nicotine) years ago. A couple of drops are enough to kill.

Still, I think that it would be interesting to try - perhaps Im just being overcome with memories of alcohol-infused tobacco. Not too paranoid about cancer - I doubt the odd fag (or tobacco-infused beer) is any worse than waiting for a bus on a busy corner.

Being a non-smoker I get the following vision.
A near empty schooner of tooheys old, with 1cm warm liquid at the bottom, complete with a floating cigarette butt and a smattering of ash...

My mouth is watering.

My dad once told me that you can spray a small fruit orchard with a boiled pouch of tobacco.

As a non smoker I really dislike the effects of nicotine, so I would stick to tobacco-like products like Hersbruk + Brett + oak etc

Actually i made a nut brown ale and put a wad of tobacco in for the final 15 mins of the boil, cant say i can taste it, and its too bloody dear to be just chuckin away.

My dad once told me that you can spray a small fruit orchard with a boiled pouch of tobacco.

I'd believe it. Might be a bit of an exageration, but not too much.

As a non smoker I really dislike the effects of nicotine, so I would stick to tobacco-like products like Hersbruk + Brett + oak etc

Ex smoker here. I enjoyed the effect of nicotine well enough. Hit some hard times when I was at uni, literally didnt have the money for tobacco for a couple of months, enough to break the habit. When I had money again, I never bothered anymore. Dodged a bullet perhaps. I still do enjoy the VERY OCCASIONAL cigar (maybe two in the last 8 years).

I'd still be interested to try this, I dont think it could be any worse than a 'cheese and horse-blanket' lambic...

Tobacco is a pretty safe drug, the delivery method (smoking) is risky. Maybe this is the answer :lol:

Screwy

Actually i made a nut brown ale and put a wad of tobacco in for the final 15 mins of the boil, cant say i can taste it, and its too bloody dear to be just chuckin away.

Yikes!
That`s interesting. How much is a wad?

stagga.

Hmmm I had an beer from Alsace that I swear tasted like tabacco, wish I had of got it's name. Or else someone just stuck their butt's in the keg. :). It was quite pleasant in small amounts in this french kinda lager. I could imagine in a darker beer it could be awesome. I'd add it in secondary like oak, it'll keep the volatiles in and allow you to control the amount of flavour more.

Q

MMMM port royal rum n wine :D

Just the ticket to get all the ex-smokers smoking again!

Goddamn nicotine addiction!

I'd add it in secondary like oak, it'll keep the volatiles in and allow you to control the amount of flavour more.

I think thats the point of it Quintrex - tobacco flavour and aroma rather than getting a kick like a cigarette.

Some have gone straight to dog ends and durry butts. I imagine something more like the aroma of a tin of Dr Pat's pipe tobacco. I think the way to achieve this would be to 'dry hop' it like I said in the first post - boiling may drive off the volatiles, and introduce unwanted flavours (like tannins in grain).

One of the Micheal Jackson books talked about a beer flavoured with tobacco, I'll have a look this evening.

How do you know if you aint tried it?

Back in the mid 90's med students were taught that nicotine itself was a carcinogen, or atleast had direct mutative effect on DNA in lung tissue when tobacco was smoked

I think beer drinkers lambasting smokers, is almost as hard to cope with as dope smokers ranting against tobacco smokers,

Now if could have a nicotine hit and a beer in one (without the lung cancer) I would be a happy man! Shyte faced 90% of the waking day but none the less happy. Prolly need a liver transplant then? <_<

Cheers

Chappo

How do you know if you aint tried it?

Back in the mid 90's med students were taught that nicotine itself was a carcinogen, or atleast had direct mutative effect on DNA in lung tissue when tobacco was smoked

I think beer drinkers lambasting smokers, is almost as hard to cope with as dope smokers ranting against tobacco smokers,

That admittedly sounded hypocritical. I used to smoke cigarettes, and I enjoyed a cigar as recently as Feb this year. I meant from a personal position, I dislike the effects of the drug nicotine on my person, it makes me feel ill.

I feel that if you are adding tobacco to a beer, especially in the boil, you have a chance of delivering a large dose of nicotine into your body, especially if you have a few beers. The effects of this might be negative.

ED: I don't give a flying **** what smokers do if they keep it out of my face.

I have heard of a comercial beer from germany called Nicoshot.
I have not tried it but is aparently to help you give up smoking ? They use an extact of tobacco leaf added and the end of the fermetation, bit like dry hopping i guess.

I have heard of a comercial beer from germany called Nicoshot.
I have not tried it but is aparently to help you give up smoking ? They use an extact of tobacco leaf added and the end of the fermetation, bit like dry hopping i guess.

Don`t do it....washing powder is expensive.
128470367_8ca096f51e_m.jpg

:(

stagga.

Back