To Late To Dry Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday Guys ive had a coopers dark ale down for the last 12 days and due to a large amount of cascade hops left over i thought i could just throw some into the fermenter... Is it too late at 12 days? Or should i go with racking of and added the cascade when it goes into the fridge? i was thinking about 25grams of the stuff..

I'd be happy to chuck em' in now if it were my brew. I'm not sure exactly how long they'll need to stay in there but I'd hazzard a guess at 4-5 days. Might be an idea to purge the head space of the fermentor though cause it's prolly finished fermenting, which I spose you'd do anyway if you were to rack this late.

Is it actually worth racking off or should I just add the cascade I know cascade don't typically go with dark ale but i thought due to the excess amount I have its not a waste...

It would make something toward an American Brown ale. If you want to do it, do it. Sometimes I will dry hop one half of a double batch of a brown ale for a little more variety.

What about it I was to make a hop tea and dump it in the fermenter about 20 min before bottling

You could also do that, it would def be quicker, but it will be slightly different. Quicker is good :)

Is it actually worth racking off or should I just add the cascade I know cascade don't typically go with dark ale but i thought due to the excess amount I have its not a waste...

Personally I wouldn't bother racking, no reason, I just wouldn't.

Yer I'm really keen to bottle today.. What differences would I be looking at if I was to make a tea? With there be a strong aroma and taste? I've never done tea before

I've never done tea before

Me neither, but if you're bottling today why not make up the hop tea and rack onto that, then bottle. Spose the bonus is you can bulk prime at the same time so no extra effort really

I don't have a secondary vessel so I'm planning on dropping the tea in and letting it sit for an hour or so before bottling...

Done the tea is sitting and cooling.. I think it will interesting..

Back