Tips for keeping your fermenters cool over summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just jump in and make the commitment. I spent years with water baths, wet towels and fans etc. i always found it hard to get the beer temp down and keep it there.

Once i had the space i went and purchased an ebay fridge for $80 plus home made temp controller for heat and cool $30 plus heat belt lying around - best money ever spent!

I can make whatever i wantwhenever i want. Whever thats Pilsners in summer or Saison in winter.

Honestly if you have the room for another Fridge and you have $100 then do it.

Fridge is only on when you are fermenting and door is not opened constanly and temp is never as cold as normal fridge so running costs are low but the quality of your beer will massively benefit.

OP has already made the commitment if you read the first post. Just needs some alternatives as well.

QldKev said:
I've done some testing on power usage, full recording here
Based on temperature range of min 14c, max 26c
320L fermenting fridge with 2 fermenters at:
stable at 18c, cost $33 per annum, so 132kWh/yr
(This is my older 1980's fridge which is now upgraded to an even newer more efficient fridge)

Fan on medium setting.
30cm desk fan, 40w
40w x 24hr per day = 960w per day
960w x 365days a year = 350,400w
= 350kWh/yr = $87.5

I've actually found no real difference in power usage for an upright fridge Vs upright freezer.
Good old maths puts me on the right path once again.

Thanks kev.

Yep read that too manticle.

My two cents was ..... why find an alternative? Just make it happen ..... whats stopping him?

Otherwise he is wasting money on alternatives

Plyers, the OP may not want to spend $110 bucks on another fridge+temp controller when they may be able to do the same with household items. while it may not be the best long term solution, the OP may not always be brewing two brews at once, or have the space required for another fridge. I reckon prince imperial may be on the money. cylindrical fermenters dont utilise the available space in your fridge unless you have a cylindrical fridge (I've got one of those beer can fridges i won in a competition). Therefore if you changed up your fermenter shape you may be able to fit a couple in there rather than just the one.

yep temp controlled fridge is the best way to go, I gave away my old ferment fridge the other day to a member, I still have another spare fridge I need to be rid of if any one wants it PM me.

Yep read that too manticle.

My two cents was ..... why find an alternative? Just make it happen ..... whats stopping him?

Otherwise he is wasting money on alternatives
Could be space to run a second fridge (as it is in my case) or power bill or both. A water bath can be had for $2 which is not much of a waste. Making a saison is never a waste. Making two beers rather than one is far from waste.

I've currently got my fermenter sitting in a 1/2 pickle barrel of water.
About mid-morning & mid-arvo every day I drop in two frozen milk bottles. It's keeping around 17-19C, but mostly at 18.

Wish that STC-1000 would hurry up and arrive... I should'a bought local.

I guess I am luky enough to be able to fit two 30 L fermenters in my ferment fridge. Only issue is winter, haven't wired up a heat source!

Any thoughts on what to put in there? Light/heat belt? Cheapo reptile head pad?

Jurt said:
I guess I am luky enough to be able to fit two 30 L fermenters in my ferment fridge. Only issue is winter, haven't wired up a heat source!

Any thoughts on what to put in there? Light/heat belt? Cheapo reptile head pad?
I have a 4 mtr snake heater belt that is thrown anywhere carefully laid out in my fridge (which will do 2 fermenters, used the same in a chesty for 3 fermenters.

Thanks for all the ideas. Genuinely appreciate the help and opinions.

Not worried about electricity cost at all, just the price of a chest freezer. Most that I've seen are $300+ and still only barely hold two fermenters. Maybe I need to look harder/longer and reassess my fermenters too.

I'm going with manticles advice and going the saison route. Once it get hottet here on the sunny coast, its my only option till wifey let's me take up more room with a bar fridge. Can wait to get that happening, but until then, just persevere with what i have.
It's not always as easy as "buy a temp controlled fridge". And I'm not giving up moving in a resort anytime soon. I may be short on.space, but i have a pool, spa, foxtel, and i can still brew, just need to compromise. Bring it on, SAISON!

To op, ive had some luck with a wet towel, ice and a fan, but hit and miss. Kept in.the sspare room with curtains drawn. Makes the room musty. Important to get to just below ideal temp before/at pitching, once the yeast gets going this method will be hard to drop the temp, but will help maintain it. Might try the frozen Jerry/ bottles this summer. It's a lot of maintenance, hence me going the saison way.. less work.

Latest posts

Back