Tips for keeping your fermenters cool over summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s_t_r_o_b_e

Reaction score
Hey team. I'm still very new to brewing and this will be my first summer. I'm hoping that some of you guys have gone through a few summers and have some tips on how to keep fermenters cool when things get a bit hot.

I'm in the process of completing my fermentation fridge, but even so, that'll only give me space for a single fermenter (and I have three on the go at the moment).

I've got a couple of fermenters sitting at 24.5ish degrees (using US04 and US05) and I'm pretty keen to drop em a bit.

Brew saisons - can get yeasts that work at 25 degrees all the way up to mid 30s.

JD

Get three fridges :)

Seriously though, 1 fermenting fridge is certainly not the limit.... Check out the various threads asking how many fridges people have... You can pick them up very cheap or even for free and keeping a fermenter at 18 won't cost a hell of electricity.

Got through last summer by sitting a fermenter in an esky, adding 15cm of water and wrapping a wet towel around the fermenter. By adding a frozen soft drink bottle every twelve hours or so to the water, managed to keep the fermenter at 20-22C in +35C ambient. A bit of work, but worth it.

A fan can help AJ80's method drop a few degrees too, if required.

bum said:
A fan can help AJ80's method drop a few degrees too, if required.
How much of these methods actually change the wort temperature? I did this last summer and saw my little stick on thermometer hover around 18, but I'm fairly certain that's because the damp towel with a fan pointed at it was cooling the thermometer! :p

Does it actually cool the wort inside?

When I first started I stuck mine under the house - dark, cool and steady temps. But freakin' dirty!!

thrillho said:
How much of these methods actually change the wort temperature? I did this last summer and saw my little stick on thermometer hover around 18, but I'm fairly certain that's because the damp towel with a fan pointed at it was cooling the thermometer! :p

Does it actually cool the wort inside?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolgardie_safe

Water bath is your best bet. Wet towel draped around the top (vertical section, not lid/glad wrap)wicks water from the bath upwards.

Fan will help if you don't mind the electricity useage. Ice bricks in the water bath. When summer is at its hottest, you may struggle so that's when it is saison time. I did this for years.

Google "swamp cooler". You'll get plenty of hits of variations on the methods above, from a simple ice bath to other links describing a full enclosure with fans and light bulbs and secret compartments to another dimension...

manticle said:
Fan will help if you don't mind the electricity useage.
AFAIK a fan will use far less electricity than a fridge, particularly when it is screaming hot outside.

JDW81 said:
AFAIK a fan will use far less electricity than a fridge, particularly when it is screaming hot outside.
I think the theory is the fan will run 24/7 the fridge only runs occasionally (no idea how low occasionally is)

as others have said, different shape fermenters (jerry cans),

Water in an esky with fermenter in that

get a 350 ltr chesty,holds 3 fermenters and is better insulated than a fridge.

Yeah been considering a chest freezer. They just seem so expensive... That said, it'd mean I could turn the fridge into a keg fridge...

Here's a Coolgardie safe. Supposed to be pretty effective so long as there's a breeze about (fan) and you keep the hessian wet.
Guess you could build one easy enough and scale it up a bit. Its fcukin Aussie as.

But really.

Far easier to run a chesty through a cheap temp controller. Holding one at brew temp's would cost next to nothing.

Coolgardie_safe.jpg

JDW81 said:

mxd said:
I think the theory is the fan will run 24/7 the fridge only runs occasionally (no idea how low occasionally is)

as others have said, different shape fermenters (jerry cans),

Water in an esky with fermenter in that

get a 350 ltr chesty,holds 3 fermenters and is better insulated than a fridge.
I've done some testing on power usage, full recording here
Based on temperature range of min 14c, max 26c
320L fermenting fridge with 2 fermenters at:
stable at 18c, cost $33 per annum, so 132kWh/yr
(This is my older 1980's fridge which is now upgraded to an even newer more efficient fridge)

Fan on medium setting.
30cm desk fan, 40w
40w x 24hr per day = 960w per day
960w x 365days a year = 350,400w
= 350kWh/yr = $87.5

I've actually found no real difference in power usage for an upright fridge Vs upright freezer.

The thing about the water bath with the ice or ice bottles is that you are not only cooling the fermenter you are cooling the whole garage as well.
If you have freezer capacity, get some 2L soft drink bottles and freeze them, and wrap the FV with the bottles, a towel and a doonah.

This is what I used to do in SEQ in the summer before I got fridges, using 5L jerry cans.

Fermentercooler 1.jpg

Fermetercoole r 2.jpg

Fermentercooler 3.jpg

Edit: of course you are paying to freeze the water so it's self defeating in the long term, but can give you a "window" before you go out and spend dollars on a fridge.

have a well insulated garage is a good option, my garage is well insulated and i have no trouble in any weather season with my fermentation

When I 1st started I picked up an outboard motor wash tub from super cheap auto.
It was insulated and the packet it came in stated it could also be filled with ice and used as a drinks container at parties.
Fitted the fermenter nicely and, with a couple of frozen soft drink bottles thrown in, kept the temp. nice and cool.

Latest posts

Back