Timothy Taylor Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirem

Reaction score
Has anyone managed to find out what the yeast is that is used to brew Landlord?

I know I could use an English strain, but my research has suggested that it is the yeast strain they use that may well set them apart from other brewers.

Any thoughts or ideas?

K

Apparently it's their own strain. This is from an old Michael Jackson article on TTL.

Timothy Taylor's has been using the same yeast for at least 30 years. It is a hybrid of the John Smith's and former Oldham Brewery yeasts, and Mr. Hey reckons it produces a beer with a "polished" clarity, firm "mouth-feel" and quenching finish. Open fermenters are used, too.

Neonmeate used the 1318 strain in his clone and reckoned it came out pretty close. I'm sure you saw the old thread, here. Sean seemed to think it was an unusual strain as well. I'm making a clone :eek: tomorrow or Friday and I'm planning to split it between WLP023 and 1028. Not sure either will be quite the same but I think they'll both make good beer. :chug:

What about Ringwood?

I haven't used that strain before any comments?

I also found out that Anchors Liberty Ale was inspired by TT Landlord, maybe the yeast they use is TT's 'unique strain'

The hunt continues.

K

I am looking to brew a Landlord inspired beer when I return in September from a holiday in the UK and will be using 1275. My father in law was given 12 bottles of TTL for christmas last year and I tried a few over the festy period - a truelly wonderful beer!. After a bit of research on AHB and checking the wyeast page I concluded 1275 would suit my taste but may be a bit light on in the fruitiness department for a true TTL clone. I have never used 1275 so opinion based purely on net research.
Cheers

What about Ringwood?

I haven't used that strain before any comments?

I also found out that Anchors Liberty Ale was inspired by TT Landlord, maybe the yeast they use is TT's 'unique strain'

The hunt continues.

K

Kierem

Ringwood is a great strain that I get some nice results with thus far. That being said I don't think it's got the flavour profile you're looking for in Landlord. :)

Would be more suited to Sam Smith (stone square) type beers where a bit of residual diacetyl and lower attenuation are the norm. In this instance it makes superb beers or Northern style bitters in general. :beerbang:

Warren -

Apparently it's their own strain. This is from an old Michael Jackson article on TTL.

Timothy Taylor's has been using the same yeast for at least 30 years. It is a hybrid of the John Smith's and former Oldham Brewery yeasts, and Mr. Hey reckons it produces a beer with a "polished" clarity, firm "mouth-feel" and quenching finish. Open fermenters are used, too.

Neonmeate used the 1318 strain in his clone and reckoned it came out pretty close. I'm sure you saw the old thread, here. Sean seemed to think it was an unusual strain as well. I'm making a clone :eek: tomorrow or Friday and I'm planning to split it between WLP023 and 1028. Not sure either will be quite the same but I think they'll both make good beer. :chug:

Hi Stuster,

I've been making a few ESB's lately and had a crack at a TTL with 100% Marris Otter before I received my Golden Promise. The yeast I have been using is WLP013 London Ale and has been giving excellent results. I don't know if the 023 would give the level of 'fruitiness', but I think the 013 could provide better results for you.

Cheers.

Good news for me. I'm using the WLP013 as well as the WLP023, :D (or at least I recultured the yeast from Worthingtons White Shield which is supposed to be the origin of the London ale yeast.) I'll be interested to see how they come out. I find the Burton ale pretty fruity as well though. Yet to make a beer with the London. You found it fruity?

I've found the 013 excellent for bitters. The 023 is excellent for porters :beerbang:

Cheers.

Has anyone had any luck with culturing the yeast out of the bottle? Does anyone know if it is the ferment strain or a bottling yeast?

I think the bottles may be pasturised after they have carbonated, but I have had success before culturing up strains from supposed pasturised bottles. I have access to a good micro lab. :beer:

If what I'm reading that yeast is so unique, I want to give it a go.

It seems there is a yeast called the tadcaster yeast, that could be quite similar. Samuel Smith might be the go for this one.

K

Kirem,

Your quest is a challenging one,

Good luck with your search for the "GRAIL"

Reading through the associated links and posts has led me to the conclusion that no matter what ,u are going to have one tasty english ale that is high in the yummfactor and satisfaction stakes.

I am yet to try a TTL,but rest assured this thread has got me salivating in anticipation( where in Adelaide can I find it?)of that malt hop combo

Everyone has to have a grail :beer:

I got mine as part of beer pack from megabeer.com

One of the best beers I have tasted.

I found it.

Wyeast have it in their yeast bank.

They want to know how much I want of it ?

K

Interesting. Do you have a link for that, Kirem? What quantities can you get it in?

I sent them an email.

I have replied to them to try and get a feel for how much I need to order.

Maybe a bulk buy coming on :beerbang:

K

Good stuff. I'm definitely interested in that. :super:

I found it.

Wyeast have it in their yeast bank.

They want to know how much I want of it ?

K

Wyeast can supply 'specials' not on the retail price list but there is usually a minimum purchase of 20 XL activator packs per strain.

NNL are ordering next month if you would like some. See http://shop.nnlbeersupplies.com.au under "Ingredients" for further details.

David

I sent them an email.

I have replied to them to try and get a feel for how much I need to order.

Maybe a bulk buy coming on :beerbang:

K

Top Work, thats an absolute coup 4 you!

I am very interested.

I will try and find out the catalogue number for it.

Just a note that may assist with research - Tadcaster is the Yorkshire brewing city that has the 2 Smith breweries. John Smith is the bigger more industrial brewery and Samuel Smith is the classic real ale brewer. Could be that the Tadcaster yeast is from here.

tdh

Latest posts

Back