Timing And Temp For The Fermentation Of A Dortmunder Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have been a long time lurker in the forums and this is my first post! :unsure:

I have dortmunder export (JZ all grain recipe) that is currently fermenting at 12 degC (fridgemate) using S-189 yeast. I pitched cold (10 degC) using two packs from craft brewer which were re-hydrated in accordance with fermentis instructions and had a healthy fermentation 24 hours later.

My dilemma is I'm going away for a week when my fermentation will be at the two week mark. I can see that it is slowing down now after 9 days and from my previous experience reckon it will be 3/4s done soon.

Do I raise the temperature to 15 degC for a diacetyl rest/complete fermentation before I go away and leave it for a week while away at 15 degC or keep it at 12 degC for the week Im away and raise the temperature when I get back?

Im assuming that at 12degC after 3 weeks it will be completely fermented and the raising of the temperature may not have any impact.

Any opinions would be greatly valued.

Mate... i'd leave it sit at your current temp of 12C for the extra week... all my lagers are set an forget for a minimum of 3 weeks although i do 'em at 9-10C... only do a d-rest if you taste a sample and think it needs it... and i reckon S-189 @ 12C you more than likely won't get and diacetyl anyway... but definately taste it before raising temps.

Welcome to the forums.

I'd also be quite comfortable leaving it another week at 12 degrees, and give a few days D rest when you get back. Because 12 degrees is quite cool - the yeast stays in good shape and lets it ferment out completely, so another week at 12 won't do it any harm at all.

Argon,

You mention that you ferment your lager at 9-10degC which is what I understood as fairly standard. The only reason I used 12 degC as this is what is fermentis' recommended temperature for S-189.

What is the difference between doing at 12 as opposed to 10 for the s-189? Will the taste profile be different?

I think you'll not notice any difference between 9-10c or 12c. Just with my regime and my ferm fridge I'm more comfortable to ferment cooler and wait longer. I don't really 100% trust that my batch is actually at the temp the probe is telling me and always err on the cool side as a tolerance.

If any difference the cooler temps will be cleaner and crisper. But as you found from the website 12c is perfectly fine for s189. It'll come out nice.

Latest posts

Back