Ticketek Does Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id say they're flogging their "premium"(top of the range) recipe

Horrendously expensive I think - it would be less costly to head straight to the bottlo and buy 6 boxes of beer.........$250 per 6 cases = $41.66 a box... :huh: Of course you don't get to do the brew which I suppose is the point, but I still think it's very pricey for what it is.......

As an equivalent comparison, $250 = fermenter & airlock + hydrometer plus $200 worth of ingredients, which by my calcs ( kit brewing) makes over 300 litres of beer.........and that would be allowing $40-50 for hops etc to improve the kit brew....
But then I suppose it's all about the experience and catering for those who only want to do it once for a fun outing with the mates...

It includes the bottles too ... most BoP quote $50-$60 for bottles but stress the point it's a one-off cost. So $150/brew (about right for the top of the range) + $60 bottles comes out around the standard - and there's "lables" thrown in. The extra $40 for the 'design your own lable' sound expensive to me.

$250 sounds rather appropriate to me. I work in hospitality and when you account for staff wages, the price of you being there and other people not, the rent you're taking up for those hours, the ingredients and labour, and after all of the brewing and 'experiences' you still get to walk away with 6 cartons? Doesn't sound like too bad a gig to me. Labelling... well, depends what you're doing with it. If you're drinking it, who cares, but if you want to stock it in your cricket or footy clubs boozer, you may want a few labels to make it look purty.

And don't forget to add in a profit margin. They're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts you know. ;)

Horrendously expensive I think - it would be less costly to head straight to the bottlo and buy 6 boxes of beer.........$250 per 6 cases = $41.66 a box... :huh: Of course you don't get to do the brew which I suppose is the point, but I still think it's very pricey for what it is.......

As an equivalent comparison, $250 = fermenter & airlock + hydrometer plus $200 worth of ingredients, which by my calcs ( kit brewing) makes over 300 litres of beer.........and that would be allowing $40-50 for hops etc to improve the kit brew....
But then I suppose it's all about the experience and catering for those who only want to do it once for a fun outing with the mates...

Don't forget all the 'other' costs at home ... gas, electricity, water, detergent, sanatiser, caps, priming sugar ... having said that though home brewing will always come out apparently cheaper than BoP or buying commercial beer until you factor in your time. While it's a hobby I'm happy to say I can brew beer at less than $1 a bottle; if I had to factor in say 5 hours for a (mash) brew day, even at minimum wage, it would become border line at best.

Obviously those kind of costs (wages and consumables) don't add up to $250, because you can go to places like "You Brew It" and use their ingredients, their kettle, store the beer in their kegs, have it carbonated for you, and bottle it yourself, for ~$100. And they will show you how to do it too.

So if anything, they are charging the extra for bottles, labels and perhaps explaining what is happening.

Sounds like a rip off to me.

Amazingly enough, this one gets lumped in the Standard Range!
102 Big Creatures Pale Ale 4.9 Little Creature Pale Ale
with the likes of
11 Very Best 4.8 VB

Can't be too many late hops going into that one <_<

Go Figure :huh:

Don't forget all the 'other' costs at home ... gas, electricity, water, detergent, sanatiser, caps, priming sugar ... having said that though home brewing will always come out apparently cheaper than BoP or buying commercial beer until you factor in your time. While it's a hobby I'm happy to say I can brew beer at less than $1 a bottle; if I had to factor in say 5 hours for a (mash) brew day, even at minimum wage, it would become border line at best.

No No No.....Don't even begin to make comparisons of this extract brew business to a mash brew in any way. Including ALL of my costs, it can cost me less than a dollar to make a litre of full mash beer. Adding in 5 hours of my time @$20/hr to make a mash brew would still only add $2 per litre on. So lets say $3 per litre total. including electricity, gas, sanitiser, refridgeration etc etc.... $141.00....If it was a full mash brew then yeah maybe, but it isn't because their not spending 5 hours with you, and their ingredient costs are nowhere near the same. What you are effectively paying for the beer you take away is over $5 a litre, and the point I was trying to make is that (personally - and admittedly with the knowledge of ingredient costs and the process involved) I don't think the experience or the beer is worth the gap between what it would cost them to do it, and what you are paying for it. I'm not trying to be offensive or say that the beer they produce is in any way bad or unfit or whatever, just throwing some figures in the air for comparisons sake. I would be MUCH more supportive of the price if it was for a full mash brew day where someone did show you through the whole experience from crush to pitching yeast. I would rate that experience (done properly) as probably being worth it even if you only got to take a couple of boxes of beer with you.

Think of it this way - if someone showed you how to make a milkshake using dried milk powder and flavouring syrup, and put it in a fancy little bottle with a fancy little label...
  1. Would it ever be anything other than a milkshake made with milk powder?
  2. Would it be worth $5 a litre?
  3. Can it in any way be compared to a fruit smoothy?
But hey......you can give me $20 an hour to stand there and let people take part in one of my mash brews while I talk about it all day every day and everyone else has paid for all the ingredients...... Couldn't think of anything I'd rather do! :D Maybe I should get a producers licence....... <_<

Latest posts

Back