Thunder Road Open Today. 30/10

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Sorry for the late notice. Just found out, Thunder Rd in Brunswick has an open day today.

Well, considering I live 1/2 dozen doors up, I wandered down with some extended family. It was pretty good. The tour, although clearly run by employees not trained presenters (which is good in theory, not so much in practice) was not bad, they did a good job explaining things. The beers seem cheap over the bar, till you realise they are 330ml glasses (is that what the retarded states call a "schmiddy"?) not pints or even schooners. Their choice to do three pale beers is interesting. The "Brunswick Bitter" was being launched today, and one brewer called it "VB on steroids." Well, it's not nearly that bad at all! Just a pale inoffensive beer, which I was informed is an ale (but there is no real yeast character to speak of - it could well be a lager really.) But if it keeps folks off VicCarlMelb then I'm all for it. The sausage sizzle was spectacular, the snags being pork and fennel :icon_drool2: The brewery itself has obviously had no expense spared, all bling - lab included! I don't consider myself a hophead, but the beers were all...delicate. Which is nice way of saying that they didn't really pop. Even the APA style, which I bought a growler of ($25 bucks for growler, cozy and a fill!) was underwhelming - even less hop aroma/flavour than a LCBA! But it's good to see them give it a crack, and I hope they do well. For my part, I buy the Full Steam Lager whenever I am at the Sporting Club. But if there was more tasty competition on tap, I would have to reconsider. Apologies if this all over the shop, but I am a bit... all over the shop.

Latest posts

Back