• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Threaded Stainless Element Recepticle Thingy For Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
sleeve.JPGCan anyone tell me where i can get my hands on one of these internal threaded bits to weld into a stainless urn to take an element.
Yes my urn walls are thick enough to weld.
I will also need to make a water level indicator. Can anyone give me advise on how to make one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gregor

You should be able to source them from your local SS fitting supplier.

I know that Nova in Newcastle would sell them but as for in Syd....no idea mate.

Look up the yellow pages for your local area.

For your water level indicator just put a T-piece on the outlet and face it upwards, put a hose tale on this and put a piece of hose on it. The attach your ball valve to the other part of the T-peice.

I hope this makes sense.

Atlas stainless steel if you have a distributer in your area, www.atlasmetals.com.au

no affiliation

They have everything you will need in stainless

And can anyone tell me what it is called so I dont have to sound like a idiot when I talk to suppliers

The Atlas catalogue calls it a round socket
so what ever size you need in fractions of an inch e.g. 1/4 round socket

Called a socket, tell them what inside diameter / thread you are looking for.

Cheers,
Bud

You want a 1/2" SS Socket

EDIT. This is for the outlet/sight gauge if you want to do it that way.

Hi Gregor,

Take your element into these folks and let them size it for you:

Sydney Sales / Prochem Manufacturing

27 Lisbon Street
Villawood, New South Wales 2163

T 61-2-9727 0044

F 61-2-9728 6766
[email protected]

It is a socket that you need.

Cheers,

Wes

For your water level indicator just put a T-piece on the outlet and face it upwards, put a hose tale on this and put a piece of hose on it. The attach your ball valve to the other part of the T-peice.

Now I might have been mislead, but I remember reading that it can sometimes be impractical installing your sight level guage onto the same outlet area as your tap. If you are interested in taking readings while the tap is open, I have heard that the pressure on the level guage will be distorted. I will eventually buy an urn as HLT, and am thinking I'll need to shop around with brands to find one with a separate port for sight level guage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - does this sound accurate? :unsure:

Gregor, if you want somewhere closer to you, there is a small place in Chicago Ave, Blacktown, straight across the street from Rondalee, but I can't remember what they are called. They will give you a good price for cash also. Take the element with you, to make sure you get the right size. Out of interest, Pok, did you mean 1 1/2", because 1/2" seems way to small to me...

Pok, did you mean 1 1/2", because 1/2" seems way to small to me...

Meant 1/2" internal thread. Not length as I guess thats what you are getting at.

Wouldn't want 1 1/2" fittings...would cost a fortune and be rather over sized :p

Sorry, I'm confused... are we talking for an element here or for a sight guage? If it's for one of those standard elements I see on this sight I would have thought 1/2" was too small... Do they make elements to fit in 1/2" sockets? :blink:

Sorry, I'm confused... are we talking for an element here or for a sight guage? If it's for one of those standard elements I see on this sight I would have thought 1/2" was too small... Do they make elements to fit in 1/2" sockets? :blink:

Ok I understand what you mean now Schooey. Sorry didn't meant to confuse everyone. I was thinking about the sight gauge.

As for the socket for the element. Take the element to the shop with you and get it sized up.

Damn uni assignment as scrambled my brain.

Time for a beer.

Now I might have been mislead, but I remember reading that it can sometimes be impractical installing your sight level guage onto the same outlet area as your tap. If you are interested in taking readings while the tap is open, I have heard that the pressure on the level guage will be distorted. I will eventually buy an urn as HLT, and am thinking I'll need to shop around with brands to find one with a separate port for sight level guage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - does this sound accurate? :unsure:

You are quite correct. The reading are distorted when the tap is open which can make things quite misleading when trying to determine accurate sparge readings :( . A separate fitting is definitely advised. As far as sight gauges are concerned there are a few options but one of the more popular is to get a 1/2 BSP elbow with a 1/2" compression fitting on one end and buy a length of 1/2" polycarbonate tube. (The tube is fairly heat resistant but keep it away from flames etc.

As Wes wisely mentioned it's best to take the element in to match the Stainless Socket accordingly.
Cheers
Doug

Re the sight guage on a tee with the tap; It will affect the accuracy of the reading while using the tap as the flow of the fluid out of the other outlet will 'draw down' the level of the liquid in the sight guage. It will equalise again when the tap is closed.

edit: Doogiechap beat me to it

Thanks guys - all of you.
I didnt think that I would receive so much good advise so quickly.
I reckon I am well on my way to making a top notch HLT.
Further more, not a single reply telling me to do a search on the topic (which I had already done by the way).
Any more helpful advise or tips still welcome.

Gregor

Any more helpful advise or tips still welcome.

Gregor,

You have used my personal property (Part of my image from my camera) without my consent. I suggest you contact me first for permission to do so, via the media from which you obtained that image, in order to broadcast it on the internet.

I am personally offended you would do such a thing, considering you would have got all the info you needed from me without the questions and dead-end sugeations already submitted in this thread

... :(

I feel sorry for your great emotional hardship.

Drink a glass of cement and HTFU.

WTF just happened here????

Holy Shite..... HTFU as Adam said. Fair enough if it were a picture of you, but a SS socket.... FFS, Grow up!

:beer:

Gregor,

You have used my personal property (Part of my image from my camera) without my consent. I suggest you contact me first for permission to do so, via the media from which you obtained that image, in order to broadcast it on the internet.

I am personally offended you would do such a thing, considering you would have got all the info you needed from me without the questions and dead-end sugeations already submitted in this thread

:lol:

Latest posts

Back