Thoughts On A Strong Scottish-ish Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebba

Reaction score
Inspired by beers like Grand Ridge Moonshine and Renaissance Stonecutter, I've been thinking of making a strong scotch ale inspired brew - big, dark, dry. The key point here though is inspired by - I'm not a style guy, and I'm not looking to brew a to the letter strong scotch ale.

The recipe will be based around:
- Golden promise
- Dark crystal and/or special b
- chocolate malt and/or carafa spec
- sugaz
WY1728 yeast (start nice and low - 14-15 degrees, then start upping the temp as it slows. will do a starter)

Looking for around high 8's to low 9's for the abv. Low IBU, balance achieved through attentuation and roasted flavours. Flavour similar to the beers listed above - toffee, raisins, cocoa.

The questions then become:
- What sort of mash temp would people be looking at? The scotch ales I've had have all been fairly light in the body for such big beers, and I'm looking at similar outcomes
- Would adding some biscuit malt be worthwhile? I love eating my biscuit malt but I really don't know when to use it in beer...
- How much sugar would people look to add? Again, the scotch ales I've had have been very dry BUT you don't notice the grog in them (well, the body does, the palate doesn't!)
- I'm on melbourne water, and I imagine water profile is important in this beer, and indeed the samples i've had have had a pleasant minerally taste to them. What sort of additions would be advisable.
- The little reading I've done on the style mentions wheat is used. Would this just be for head retention? (due to the high abv, low carbonation and dry finish I'm expecting a good head would be... problematic!)

Usually I'm a "do as you feel" brewer. In this case though, I'm after something that I haven't tried before, so input from those more experienced will be very welcome.

Have a read of this thread.

Having read the recipe and tried the original I'm going to give it a go in a few months. I don't fall anywhere near the "more experienced" category though.

I have been watching that thread, although I hadn't noticed the recipe - thanks.

I'm looking at a lot more choc/roasted malt. I notice that one says to mash @ 67, which my gut tells me would be too high to get sufficient attenutation.

Back