Those Leffe Blonde Glasses - Anyone Else's Flat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interloper

Reaction score
When the Leffe Blondes were on sale at Dan Murphy's with the glass included a couple o weeks ago I grabbed 2 of them and they are the flatest glasses I have ever drunk out of.
:(

I've tried everything, including soaking in the alkaline salts I use for washing scungey old bottles and then soaking in clean water, rinsing with cold water, rinsing with hot water, air dry, towel dry... nothing will get these glasses to keep a decent bubble and head.

I pour a beer into another glass that just gets a hot water rinse and an air dry and it's fine and bubbly and heady but these glasses just seem so lifeless in comparison.

Anyone else buy one of those glasses sets and find the same thing with the Leffe glass?

it's a glass made for it's own beer (leffe blonde), it's not a Headmaster or Energy glass by comparison.

when I poured my leffe blonde into it, it was pretty perfect for that style of beer. I tipped a draught into it, went sort of flat after a little while of drinking it. Take a car key and scratch the bottom of the glass about 20 times, all different directions and it'll fix it up straight away.

Don't go scratching it! All that does is provide nucleation points to drive the CO2 out quicker. The effect is short lasting and just makes the beer go flat quicker. Clean it well and use it for highly carbonated beers.

Also, try the Batz Method of glass cleaning. Wash with bicarb and hot water followed by a rinse with hot water that has a dash of vinegar added. Drip dry.

Wash it in a dishwasher, not the same soap as the sink stuff.

Mine however was perfect out of the box with a quick rinse

Don't go scratching it! All that does is provide nucleation points to drive the CO2 out quicker. The effect is short lasting and just makes the beer go flat quicker. Clean it well and use it for highly carbonated beers.

Also, try the Batz Method of glass cleaning. Wash with bicarb and hot water followed by a rinse with hot water that has a dash of vinegar added. Drip dry.

ah, I was under the impression that the marks from scratching the bottom of the glass had the same effect as the Headmaster/Energy glasses with the tiny pits in the bottom of them?

ah, I was under the impression that the marks from scratching the bottom of the glass had the same effect as the Headmaster/Energy glasses with the tiny pits in the bottom of them?

Yes, they do. They make the CO2 rise up and with the right amount of foam stabiliser in the beer, make a dense head... but at the cost of carbonation. Fine for megalagah but that's about it, imho.

Yes, they do. They make the CO2 rise up and with the right amount of foam stabiliser in the beer, make a dense head... but at the cost of carbonation. Fine for megalagah but that's about it, imho.

According to my publican mate the reason the bottom of glasses are etched is because it creates places for bacteria to hide, the resultant bubble trail being considered by uninformed drinkers to be a sign of "clean glasses and a lively beer".

the reason the bottom of glasses are etched is because it creates places for bacteria to hide

Wait, so they etch them to try to make their customers sick? :unsure:

Duvel glass has the D etched in the bottom and this is what forces the Co2 upwards and "apparantly" helps the beer maintain its head... All I know is it looks cool with the Co2 shooting up in a near straight line in the middle of the glass :p

So are these glasses still at Dans? I need a 2nd leffe.

Why you'd want to go scratching a nice glass like this is beyond me.

Duvel glass has the D etched in the bottom and this is what forces the Co2 upwards and "apparantly" helps the beer maintain its head... All I know is it looks cool with the Co2 shooting up in a near straight line in the middle of the glass :p

Really? Had a Duvel last night from a non-etched glass and the head fell away after a minute or so, but that's what I expect from an 8% beer. Had nice carbonation all the way down. Lovely. :p :p

I drink almost everything out of mine these days, and have found very little problem with carbonation.
Don't get a ridiculously huge head with certain beers compared to other glasses...but I prefer that!

I just tipped a Duvel into my Leffe glass to see what happens, it bubbles furiously from the bottom of the glass. I even took a quick vid to show you the bubbles. Only ever washed mine with hot water/cold water.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=S8bbt7MAMqY

probably has to process, should be up in a few minutes though ;)

All that matters is that it has an awesome soundtrack...

I just tipped a Duvel into my Leffe glass to see what happens, it bubbles furiously from the bottom of the glass. I even took a quick vid to show you the bubbles. Only ever washed mine with hot water/cold water.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=S8bbt7MAMqY

probably has to process, should be up in a few minutes though ;)

Seriously more head than my glasses have
:(
hmmmmm. I might have to soak them in alkaline bottle washing salts, then hot water rinse followed by cold to see if it brings them back.

Damned Adelaide water killin' mah glasses!

Back