This Kegging Caper Is Really Worth It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to partially fill a 19l keg without any detrimental effects. I suspect that this might lead to overcarbonation

Not a problem at all. I have kegged 5L batches of cider i was experimenting with. No overcarb problem if you let it slowly carb over over the course of 2 weeks to your set pouring pressure. Force carbing it by rocking it at high pressure can be a little trickier as you have to reduce the time but it can be done.

Not a problem at all. I have kegged 5L batches of cider i was experimenting with. No overcarb problem if you let it slowly carb over over the course of 2 weeks to your set pouring pressure. Force carbing it by rocking it at high pressure can be a little trickier as you have to reduce the time but it can be done.

Dr Smurto

Bit by bit you are convincing me. :lol:
Might start some serious planning in New Year

Have a good Christmas

Jimmy

nah keggings a waste. its crap, horrible and a truly terrifying experince.

i'd much rather wash 100's of bottles and scrub them and rinse them all and sanatise them all and wait hours till i fill them all, then cap them all, then let them all sit for over 3 weeks while they carb up just so i can drink them all and start the whole bloody process again.....

we still havnt got around to getting that "sarcastic" emoticon have we?

need to get a keg set up have a chest freezer sitting there ready. also need to find the 72 virgins, thinking they would be rare these days.

Mmmmm... kegs... chest freezer... virgins...

Gotta get in on this action. I do like that chest freezer arrangement; very space efficient.

Will attempt to sell the deal to SWMBO by suggesting how I can get rid of all the bottles!
Don't know how she will go with the virgins though.

Mmmmm... kegs... chest freezer... virgins...

Gotta get in on this action. I do like that chest freezer arrangement; very space efficient.

Will attempt to sell the deal to SWMBO by suggesting how I can get rid of all the bottles!
Don't know how she will go with the virgins though.

Getting rid of the bottles off the kitchen bench worked for me in the convincing stage... Suggest to save up for it also, put $50 away a week till you have enough, another selling point.. ;)

Waiting on fermentation of my IPA, my keg system is sitting ready to go.

And I have had great pleasure in packing my bottles up and placing in the shed... so much more room around the bar too! SWMBO likes that part too!!! :lol:

I would love to keg but with my consumption I can not justify it. Would take me 4-5 weeks to get thru a 19l keg

Case of beer = 9Ltr, Slab of beer = 11.25Ltr!

You got to be a serious drinker, (shift worker like me), or have lots of regular visitors guys and will drink 1 keg per week!

I used to cycle 4 X 20L kegs. At full steam, pour out of 1 that had been in the fridge for 3 weeks force carbonating. Had a temp controlled fridge to ferment brew packs in a week, so the fermenter never dried, nor did the kegs. As soon as the fermented product was poured into the "just emptied keg", I would open another brew pack and keep it happening.

Long story short, plan ahead! With kegging, you can be in a position of never going without beer, as long as your CO2 never runs-out!

Re the 72 virgins: sounds too much like hard work. Get half of them out working and half doing the brewing and kegging. Problem solved, happy Christmas.

Case of beer = 9Ltr, Slab of beer = 11.25Ltr!

You got to be a serious drinker, (shift worker like me), or have lots of regular visitors guys and will drink 1 keg per week!

Not a serious beer drinker just a serious beer lover. Quality over quantity - otherwise I will be my own keg on legs. :lol:

Merry Christmas Carbonator.

As a fellow shift worker I hope you have time off over Xmas period.

Latest posts

Back