This Keg Is Weird

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Draining from tge bottom for a run is awsome. No deadspace. I had to put a hole in the bottom of mine so it was bottom draining. Count ur lucky stars.

And u can underlet which rocks.

Kids these days and them not doing their research. Tsk tsk

For what it's worth, you don't need a hole in the bottom of a keggle to get rid of deadspace. I have solved the problem using a domed false bottom with a small piece of silcon hose draining to the bottom, passing through the top of the false bottom to the tap mounted on the side of my keggle.

I get an extra 4-5 litres out of my keggle with this (as the hose runs to the bottom of the keg), and it pulls every last drop out of the keg (provided no air enters the system once the wort level is below tap height!) it's all about fluid dynamics. Also, trub sits on top of the false bottom so I get every last drop and there is very little trub coming through which is handy.

cheers,
Kieran

These bad boys would be pretty close to the thread I reckon.

I run one in my 80L HLT and it powers along!

BTW: As edited above, I now think Tony's set up is in his tun... but you will work it out I am sure.

Cheers
They look alright. If not that thread they suggest it will fit through the spear hole. I could just cut a hole in the bottom as suggested by Manticle.

And Tony's mash tun looks NICE

I reckon these elements look like they might be made for your keg ;)

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html

element2400W_mid.gif

element3600W_mid.gif

Why not use an element from your standard domestic hot water system the elements are much cheaper and they are standard items at every electrical wholesaler in the country. Much better prospect i would think

Why not use an element from your standard domestic hot water system the elements are much cheaper and they are standard items at every electrical wholesaler in the country. Much better prospect i would think

Off-peak HLT ;)

If you take the threaded plug to a local plumbing or irragation shop they should be able to tell you what size and type of thread it is, probably just a standard pipe thread :icon_cheers:

There a number of reason and I dint rhinkntbey are cheaper at all. Plenty of past threads on elements. Have u got any links/proof? I'm happy to be corrected

Hey guys....I've started collecting my equipment on my path to AG but was a bit deflated when my keg arrived yesterday. I bought it from Ebay and planned to make a 'Keggle' out of it but I noticed that it was not sitting flat on the ground.

You bought it from ebay? didnt they have pictures or say that the keg had been modified? what slack bastards, i would ask for my money back and neg them if they didnt. jerks.

They had pics but none showed the bottom and I didn't think to ask..They marketed by saying it would make a great BBQ or letterbox though so I guess I should've been more thorough.

Thanks for the tips..I'm gonna find out what thread it is and consder all options.
I think it will end up a HLT with one of the element options

You can pick up a hot water system element for about $50. A bit better than beerbelly elements where the price on the web does not include postage and the price from the link says $75

Latest posts

Back