This Keg Is Weird

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginsoakedstranger

Reaction score
Hey guys....I've started collecting my equipment on my path to AG but was a bit deflated when my keg arrived yesterday. I bought it from Ebay and planned to make a 'Keggle' out of it but I noticed that it was not sitting flat on the ground. I had a look underneath and saw an opening with a screw top protruding from the bottom. Now I don't know a lot about kegs but I'm assuming that this is not meant to be there. I thought it may be a custom modification (for God knows what) but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before. Alternatively if it's no good as a boiler are there any ideas for others uses? Attach a ball valve in place of the screw top with a screen above for a mash tun? Put a shower head on the bottom for a HLT, fly sparge set up?

I don't know...I was pretty disappointed it wasn't a flat bottom as I'd hoped
See pics below.....cheers
PB110016.jpg
PB110017.jpg
PB110017.jpg

Hey guys....I've started collecting my equipment on my path to AG but was a bit deflated when my keg arrived yesterday. I bought it from Ebay and planned to make a 'Keggle' out of it but I noticed that it was not sitting flat on the ground. I had a look underneath and saw an opening with a screw top protruding from the bottom. Now I don't know a lot about kegs but I'm assuming that this is not meant to be there. I thought it may be a custom modification (for God knows what) but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before. Alternatively if it's no good as a boiler are there any ideas for others uses? Attach a ball valve in place of the screw top with a screen above for a mash tun? Put a shower head on the bottom for a HLT, fly sparge set up?

I don't know...I was pretty disappointed it wasn't a flat bottom as I'd hoped
See pics below.....cheers
PB110016.jpg
PB110017.jpg
PB110017.jpg

It would be great for wine. I'll buy it off you if you aren't going to use it

Hey guys....I've started collecting my equipment on my path to AG but was a bit deflated when my keg arrived yesterday. I bought it from Ebay and planned to make a 'Keggle' out of it but I noticed that it was not sitting flat on the ground.

While it leaves you without handles (until you work out a way to make/attach some) it still sit flat on the ground when upside down. Nothing to say you couldn't cut the bottom, rather than the top out.

Mount it on a frame, shove an electric element in there!

I'm sure there's someone else on AHB who uses a kettle with the ballvalve at the bottom and a hop filter screen sitting above it. Zero deadspace, although it does require an electric heat source or some thinking outside the box to work out how to fire it with gas. Alternatively, as you said, insulate it and use it as a mash tun.

lt will do a elec HLT via gravity, could be an MLT with a falsie above it, not too sure what it would have been used as ?

perfect mash tun setup ..

or HLT with an element..

winner ..

I am sure Tony made his keggle with the bottom cut out...

And runs his out let at the bottom [Top of keg] out through the spear hole, then an elbow and piped out through the handle hole... genius really.

I just checked his gallery but no real clear pics of it.

Maybe PM him for a pic or he may see this and share the love!

Cheers

Draining from tge bottom for a run is awsome. No deadspace. I had to put a hole in the bottom of mine so it was bottom draining. Count ur lucky stars.

And u can underlet which rocks.

Kids these days and them not doing their research. Tsk tsk

I am sure Tony made his keggle with the bottom cut out...

And runs his out let at the bottom [Top of keg] out through the spear hole, then an elbow and piped out through the handle hole... genius really.

I just checked his gallery but no real clear pics of it.

Maybe PM him for a pic or he may see this and share the love!

Cheers

How do you keep the break out if you run out through the centre of the keggle? I have a vessel (kindly donated to me) which has a hole cut in the bottom designed for use as an HLT - makes sense. Mash Tun I can also see but kettle needs to be able to draw wort away from break unless I'm mistaken.

It is more than possible that I am mistaken though.

How do you keep the break out if you run out through the centre of the keggle? I have a vessel (kindly donated to me) which has a hole cut in the bottom designed for use as an HLT - makes sense. Mash Tun I can also see but kettle needs to be able to draw wort away from break unless I'm mistaken.

It is more than possible that I am mistaken though.

I am pretty sure he runs a screen.... Check his gallery, its in there just no clear pics.

But yeah, I see your point, for a kettle not optimal without a screen..

EDIT: After further thought, I think its his tun... anyways.

thanks for all the quick replies!

I knew it there were options, just not exactly as I planned....which is good.

all these are good suggestions, however finding the right element to mount might cause some headaches.
Sounds like drainage from the bottom is a winner. I think with a screen it could a good boiler with an over the side element or something..I was planning on using gas but I like where this is heading. As long as most of the trub was caught I think I'd be happy.
I definitely like the old upsidedown through the handle spout manoeuvre. That would look funky and be functional.

Cheers again!!

I have rage like this towards technology on a frequent basis...

Last edited by a moderator:
These bad boys would be pretty close to the thread I reckon.

I run one in my 80L HLT and it powers along!

BTW: As edited above, I now think Tony's set up is in his tun... but you will work it out I am sure.

Cheers

Here is the picture of Tony's Tun.
It inspired me to make my Tun very similar. :icon_cheers:
post_416_1262310274_thumb.jpg

If it isnt sticking down too far, maybe you could just cut the socket in half then screw the plug back in, you dont need all that thread for the plug. Angle grinder would knock it off in a couple of seconds

MHB

That keg is not weird if you wanted to blow up an airport. :ph34r:

pics of my underlet rig are here and here. i love no deadspace. im a tight arse when it comes to brewing. no idea why. i want every last drop of wort :icon_drunk:

dont skimp on the element if you use it for a HLT. mine is a 3.6kw element and will heat 50L of 16C water up to 85C in under 40min.
the element and a casing has a sensor probe that it hooks up to. Stokes electrical part #: u-2620-14 & U-2642 = $192.50 incl laser cut holes for terminal assembly. piccy here

Latest posts

Back