Third BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
As the title suggests brewed my 3rd biab tonight, DSGA as I want to get the process right with the same recipe before I branch out
My first was a disaster, my second better 1041 SG
Tonight I paid more attention to the little things
Strike temp
Stirred every 15 mins
Did a mash out
Did a sparge
Calculated pre boil volume

Result..........1047 SG
In the cube as we speak

For me bottom line is its like doing a food recipe
First time you're as nervous as hell and don't wanna **** it up, but eventually you gain confidence through repitition and it gets better

What a great hobby!

Nice work Meathead!!
Good time to be putting a few down...stockpile for summer sessions!
I reckon you can do-away with all that stirring if you insulate well.
With a camping mat and $12 kiddies sleeping bag from Kmart, I only lose 1 or 2 degrees over 90mins even in this cold Melbourne weather.
Having said that, stick to what works for you (maybe I'm just lazy).

Brew on :beerbang: !

Thanks lads
I did the stirring to chase efficiency, but it did drop to 65, quick blast of gas and back to 67
I've got Clark rubber stuff around the outside (whats left of it after heat damage) and sleeping bag on top
I'll do a couple more DSGA and then give a porter a go

meathead said:
I did the stirring to chase efficiency, but it did drop to 65, quick blast of gas and back to 67
Don't be too concerned with chasing efficiency early on. If you're around 65-70% then your doing pretty good. I'd be more concerned with chasing consistency early on.

You'll find it gets easier and the more familiar you become with the process the more consistent your number will be.

Latest posts

Back